Debbie
Debbie
  • Saint Albans, VT
Asked on Mar 17, 2018

Any suggestion for adding stair stringers?

EmilyWilliamShoshana
+4

Is there a more simple way to add stair stringers other then removing the stair case?

• Shoshana

Best of luck!
    • Debbie

Thank you for the reply, I have brand new oak stairs, I want stair stringers added to the staircase.
  • Emily

what do you mean by "stringers" you have treads, risers, baseboards, railings and balusters? Is what you call "stringers" one of these?
    • Debbie

The stringer is the wood that goes up against wall. I have attached a pic. Thanks!

Your terminology is wrong. Stair treads and risers are attached to stringers on existing stairs. What you want are "closed strings" or "wall strings" to give the stairs a finished look. You pic shows a "closed string". Same have wall strings installed some don't. If there is a gap between the wall, treads, and risers it's just getting the right sized board and slip it into the gap. If there is no gap you can cut a board with the profile of the treads and risers and glue/nail. Another option is to cut a gap into the treads and risers to be able to slip a board in.
  • Emily

Oh, I was thinking of that as baseboard. Do your stairs not have that? Other than protecting the wall are they structurally necessary? Just looked at mine. It seems that would have been put in first and then the treads and risers just butt against it. Could you use a much thinner. . . metal or plastic material to serve the same purpose as wood?