I would like to try growing Concord grapes - How do I start - Would li

+8
  • First, buy the plants. They aren't too fussy but they like good soil with drainage and lots of sun. They require yearly pruning and training and protection from birds if you want to have any grapes for yourself!
  • Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Mar 17, 2018
    Back in the eighties the house we had, had a huge back yard with no trees, except for one huge concord grape plant. We build an arbor just in front of it and let it go wild and trimmed only the dead wood off it each spring. We had a bountiful harvest each year for having only one plant. We never watered it or fertilized it or anything, we didn't even know if it needed special care or not. The base of the plant was about five inches across.
    • See 3 previous
    • Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Mar 22, 2018
      Shirley, you are making a good start to better health already! Other than helping out my almost 98 yr old mother, the only nursing I do is at home. Hubbies health took a turn in 2015 and he likes to take on more than he should and I have to be at home to make sure he doesn't push it too far. The nurse never goes away in trying to help people. I caught that from both my mom and grandmother, who always helped people no matter what. If you have any gardening questions, just ask and there are many here at Hometalk that will be glad to help you, including me. I love to play in the dirt, I can't wait until I can get in the garden this spring. It will be a while. We are supposed to get more snow starting tomorrow, they say anywhere from three to twelve inches! Have a great weekend and take care of yourself!
  • Betsy Betsy on Mar 17, 2018
    I have a Concord grape vine that I got from a root from my childhood neighbours plant. It takes a couple of years for the plant to get big enough to have grapes on it, so don't expect anything from your plant for at least 2 years or more. Also, if you haven't bought your plants yet, see if you can get the seedless variety, unless you like spitting the seeds:) I wouldn't try growing the plants from seed, you will be waiting a very long time for grapes. I have white, red and concord grapes in my yard and there are more than enough grapes to share with the critters. And, be sure you have an arbor strong enough to hold the plants up. They look wispy, but are really pretty heavy. I used a heavy rope to hold mine up, but after a few years the rope broke. Now I'm replacing the rope with a thick wire. Fingers crossed:) I water mine every week and put a couple of fertilizer steaks near the main root. Everything needs to eat and drink:) Good luck and happy graping. Is that even a word?
    • Shi29220786 Shi29220786 on Mar 19, 2018
      Thanks for your helpful information. - I like your attitude about eating and drinking and you good luck wish - Shirley
  • Wendy Wendy on Mar 18, 2018
    How lovely- good luck and keep us posted!