Flower beds by front door

+6
My mom has 2 flower beds at her front door. One on each side of the walk way. She doesn't have gutters on the front of her house so when it rains water pours off the roof, floods the beds and kills EVERYTHING in them. Any ideas what she can do to prevent putting up gutters???
q flower beds by front door
This is where the water pours from
q flower beds by front door
What the water is doing to her flower beds
q flower beds by front door
  • Dfm Dfm on Mar 17, 2018
    You could try a French drain...
  • Jcraw Jcraw on Mar 17, 2018
    For a reasonably small cost she can have front gutters put up up attractively and sent to the sides of the house as best suited. There are several faces of guttering, and they could be clean enough lines not to distract from her house architecture. Hard to tell what size they should be to maintain the clean lines of the home, but look like 6” to me. You can tell the contractor to divert some of downflow to deeper in the yard and, with a joint, divert some water to a piece of brown colored (less visible) guttering to literally inset in the garden bed. . Drill holes in that guttering to water,but not drown, the plants.
  • Erin Erin on Mar 17, 2018
    I’d put up gutters!
  • Joy30150932 Joy30150932 on Mar 17, 2018
    I agree with jcraw as you need something solid to divert the water to another location.
  • Katie Nadea Katie Nadea on Mar 17, 2018
    I just put up seamless gutters around a 1560 sq ft home for 1300 dollars. Don't forget, you are keeping water away from the foundation of the home and moisture for termites. I had the same exact issue. I was tired of walking out to a mud pit, watching my porch flood with water and ruining the front and killed my grass in the back. There are corner diversions you can buy, if you can swing the money to do the whole house it is worth it. BTW, I am not far from you South of Mobile Al, on the Gulf, and we get a lot of rain here.
  • Shore grandmom Shore grandmom on Mar 17, 2018
    Putting up gutters is very important. The flower beds are the least of the reasons. All that water will eventually cause many problems with your mother's house. Don't wait on them, water can be very damaging and needs to be directed away from the house and foundation.
  • Dana Mason Dana Mason on Mar 18, 2018
    You could make rain chains..... especially at the corner. These can be of any size, but it must be anchored to hold not only the water as it comes off the roof, but the pressure of the water.
    I have also saw where people have built a water feature under their roof line. They build up rocks and use pool liners and it literally catches the rain as it comes off the roof and looks like a waterfall. This was it is a feature that can even direct water away from the house.
  • AuntQueenie AuntQueenie on Mar 18, 2018
    she could plant hawthorn shrubs to break the water, and minimize it making a big hole. But, the water can damage the foundation so she should get guttering if she can.
  • Laura Cooper Laura Cooper on Mar 18, 2018
    I vote gutters. Protect your investment!