Lornarohr
Lornarohr
  • New York Mills, MN
Asked on Mar 18, 2018

How to fix a wooden door that is peeling and cracking?

ShoshanaMcp22331334Ellis
+2

Our stained and finished exterior door is peeling and looks horrible! Can anyone tell me how to fix it to look good again? Or do we have to buy a new one?

• Charline

Give it a good sanding and re stain it or paint it.
  • Ellis

There are also paint strippers you can use, if the door paint is really peeling badly. If it's a wood veneer and the veneer is peeling, you have a bigger problem. But if your old door is a nice, heavy wood door from bygone days, try to restore it.

I like to check out advice columns on the web like This Old House or Family Handyman, etc., for detailed instructions when I'm facing a project like this.
  • Mcp22331334

I have a beautiful wooden door that gets evening sun on the bottom 3rd of the door. I have redone it twice in the last 15 years. It is very easy to do. Sand your door first and then brush or wipe on a wood conditioner, this helps condition the dry wood and makes the stain go on more evenly. Then stain, I usually put about 2-3 coats of stain because I like a deep reddish stain. Finally, do not use a poly urethan (I made that mistake the first time I restored my door and it peeled within 3 years). Use a spar urethan because it's for outdoor use and does not peel like the poly. I did 3 coats of the spar urethane. The door is beautiful and it didn't cost much to do it. Good luck to you!
  • Shoshana

This is a good way to take care of the cracks-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBEzcoPafG8