Kathy Bollman
Kathy Bollman
  • Randolph A F B, TX
Asked on Mar 18, 2018

What can I add to interior paint to thicken for fireplace?

V SmithKathy BollmanJcraw
+4

Brick has been painted in white semi gloss. I want the flat white to be thicker to soften brick and mortar. I have 5 gallons of white interior paint on hand. Thanks!!! Kathyb
q what can i add to interior paint to thicken for fireplace
  • Baba

Make it into chalk paint..... many recipes on hometalk and Pinterest......... this stuff is wonderful and covers anything and everything!
    i use 1 cup paint
    1/3 warm water
    1/3 cup plaster of paris
    mix water and plaster of Paris together
    then put in paint

• Fit32098255

you can make chalk paint! Google ‘chalk paint recipes’ as there are a few ways to do it. I use plaster of paris. And its easy....:))
  • Jcraw

Experiment by just putting it on with a long-hair roller.
    Messing with the paint itself, especially 5 gallons, probably should only be done by a pro who has the equipment to make it blend completely. You know how long it takes on their machine just to mix colors.
  • Kathy Bollman

Excellent advice. Thanks so much! Now, I can't procrastinate! kathybollman
  • V Smith

You can thicken it by adding joint compound to it. You will have to find the dry stuff. You will also need a very powerful drill so you can use a special stirring rod to blend your paint and compound mixture.