Basin Full of Succulents

$20

I picked up a pitcher & chipped basin at a garage sale and have been waiting for inspiration to spark then a friend gave me a box of succulent cuttings & it happened.
basin full of succulents
The first thing I had to figure out was how to get the pitcher at the angle and elevation that I wanted so it appeared to be "pouring out" the plants.
basin full of succulents
Thats where floral foam came in.
basin full of succulents
I carved & shaved the foam until it resembled something that might hold the pitcher & fit somewhat into the basin.
basin full of succulents
basin full of succulents
I also kind of wedged bits of foam underneath to help stabilize the pitcher.
basin full of succulents
Trusty velcro as an extra measure to keep the pitcher at that angle & secure the foam to the basin.
basin full of succulents
Rocks in the bottom for weight and drainage.
basin full of succulents
Pea gravel in the bottom, again for drainage.
basin full of succulents
Then succulent soil, which is 3 parts regular potting soil with 2 parts sand and 1 part perlite. The sand & the perlite give the soil that drainage power that these babies like.
basin full of succulents
Start adding the plants or clippings of your choosing. I selected ones for the pitcher that added to the "pouring" effect, so get creative.
basin full of succulents
And there she is!
Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. Prices updated as of September 23, 2018 10:54 PM - More info

• Kim Compo

I have a basin but wanted this to be outdoors with succulents. How do I prevent too much moisture from rainfall??

• Ellen Lane Caplinger

I placed my garden on a covered patio and they all loved their location

i had to turn them every so often

follow the 3 layers of drainage

mine was pea gravel, sand and combination of succulent soil and sand

• Kim Compo

• Judy Heiss
    An hour ago

Any idea how I can protect my old bowl and pitcher, from my husband's grandmother? I can hear my mother-in-law fussing up in Heaven down to me if I do ANYTHING to ruin it. But, I love it and want to display it in some way besides just sitting on a sideboard.

• Laura Cross

I have the exact same jug and bowl , it has moved house with me 4 times . Now I know what to do with it , so glad to be a hoarder . LOL XX

• Deb

I totally love this! Time to start seeking out thrift stores & garage/d sales! Thanks SO much for such a cute & clever idea!