Basin Full of Succulents

$20

I picked up a pitcher & chipped basin at a garage sale and have been waiting for inspiration to spark then a friend gave me a box of succulent cuttings & it happened.
The first thing I had to figure out was how to get the pitcher at the angle and elevation that I wanted so it appeared to be "pouring out" the plants.
Thats where floral foam came in.
I carved & shaved the foam until it resembled something that might hold the pitcher & fit somewhat into the basin.
I also kind of wedged bits of foam underneath to help stabilize the pitcher.
Trusty velcro as an extra measure to keep the pitcher at that angle & secure the foam to the basin.
Rocks in the bottom for weight and drainage.
Pea gravel in the bottom, again for drainage.
Then succulent soil, which is 3 parts regular potting soil with 2 parts sand and 1 part perlite. The sand & the perlite give the soil that drainage power that these babies like.
Start adding the plants or clippings of your choosing. I selected ones for the pitcher that added to the "pouring" effect, so get creative.
And there she is!

• Judy Heiss

Any idea how I can protect my old bowl and pitcher, from my husband's grandmother? I can hear my mother-in-law fussing up in Heaven down to me if I do ANYTHING to ruin it. But, I love it and want to display it in some way besides just sitting on a sideboard.

• Mamamia

OMG, you must either be Italian or Jewish with all that guilt, lol. No one is gonna haunt you. Send them over to my house

• Sharon Guidice

Wheres site 2 make snowman out of tires

• Michelle Kirstein

I'm not sure what you are looking for but I do not have a project for snowmen. Please go to the Hometalk home page and use the search function. thanks.

• Pamela

I planted succulents in a big bowl but they grew so fast, they outgrew it. What did I do wrong?

• Michelle Kirstein

Sounds like absolutely nothing. They flourished and just like any plant, succis need to be clipped. You can take the clippings and start new plants. :)