Basin Full of Succulents

82K Views
I picked up a pitcher & chipped basin at a garage sale and have been waiting for inspiration to spark then a friend gave me a box of succulent cuttings & it happened.
Time: 2 HoursCost: $20Difficulty: Easy
  • basin full of succulents
The first thing I had to figure out was how to get the pitcher at the angle and elevation that I wanted so it appeared to be "pouring out" the plants.
  • basin full of succulents
Thats where floral foam came in.
  • basin full of succulents
I carved & shaved the foam until it resembled something that might hold the pitcher & fit somewhat into the basin.
  • basin full of succulents
  • basin full of succulents
I also kind of wedged bits of foam underneath to help stabilize the pitcher.
  • basin full of succulents
Trusty velcro as an extra measure to keep the pitcher at that angle & secure the foam to the basin.
  • basin full of succulents
Rocks in the bottom for weight and drainage.
  • basin full of succulents
Pea gravel in the bottom, again for drainage.
  • basin full of succulents
Then succulent soil, which is 3 parts regular potting soil with 2 parts sand and 1 part perlite. The sand & the perlite give the soil that drainage power that these babies like.
  • basin full of succulents
Start adding the plants or clippings of your choosing. I selected ones for the pitcher that added to the "pouring" effect, so get creative.
  • basin full of succulents
And there she is!

Suggested materials for this project:

View All Materials
Prices updated as of July 4, 2018 10:38 PM - More infoHometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.