Basin Full of Succulents

$20

I picked up a pitcher & chipped basin at a garage sale and have been waiting for inspiration to spark then a friend gave me a box of succulent cuttings & it happened.
basin full of succulents
The first thing I had to figure out was how to get the pitcher at the angle and elevation that I wanted so it appeared to be "pouring out" the plants.
basin full of succulents
Thats where floral foam came in.
basin full of succulents
I carved & shaved the foam until it resembled something that might hold the pitcher & fit somewhat into the basin.
basin full of succulents
basin full of succulents
I also kind of wedged bits of foam underneath to help stabilize the pitcher.
basin full of succulents
Trusty velcro as an extra measure to keep the pitcher at that angle & secure the foam to the basin.
basin full of succulents
Rocks in the bottom for weight and drainage.
basin full of succulents
Pea gravel in the bottom, again for drainage.
basin full of succulents
Then succulent soil, which is 3 parts regular potting soil with 2 parts sand and 1 part perlite. The sand & the perlite give the soil that drainage power that these babies like.
basin full of succulents
Start adding the plants or clippings of your choosing. I selected ones for the pitcher that added to the "pouring" effect, so get creative.
basin full of succulents
And there she is!

• Kim Compo

I have a basin but wanted this to be outdoors with succulents. How do I prevent too much moisture from rainfall??

• Ellen Lane Caplinger

I placed my garden on a covered patio and they all loved their location

i had to turn them every so often

follow the 3 layers of drainage

mine was pea gravel, sand and combination of succulent soil and sand

• Kim Compo

• Judy Heiss

Any idea how I can protect my old bowl and pitcher, from my husband's grandmother? I can hear my mother-in-law fussing up in Heaven down to me if I do ANYTHING to ruin it. But, I love it and want to display it in some way besides just sitting on a sideboard.

• Judy Heiss

I won't really plant anything in the pitcher. It's too old and brings back good memories of my mother-in-law! I was missing her when I read about the bowl and pitcher. She taught me a lot. My family was very dysfunctional and she taught me to be a good wife to her youngest son who is the love I always wanted.