Carol Kruger
Carol Kruger
  • South Africa
Asked on Mar 19, 2018

How to get shells smooth?

Carol KrugerCarol MarthensValerie Hull

I am busy redoing my bathroom with fine shells. I have coated it in Apoxy/Resin but still not smooth when you rub your hand over it. I sanded one area but the sanding paper keeps on tearing. It took me most of Sunday to sand one small area and there is still places in that small area that needs to be smoother before I coat it again to do the final sealing. Any suggestions?
q how to get shells smooth
  • Valerie Hull

I did resin counter tops. You sand it with the super heavy grip sand paper made for the large floor sanders you rent from home depot. I cut it and used a hand sander and it was a breeze. After then do a flood coat. You can build a wall from heavy duty plastic too, but you have to have staple it or reinforce the back using tape and maybe cardboard. It just breaks off when its dry and bamb beautiful top coat.I use the heavy duty painters plastic.
    Hope this helps.
    • Carol Kruger

Hi,
      The flat service is done and completely sealed and smooth. It is the sides that is the problem that I have. Brushing the resin on and it just runs down and make puddles on the floor. So the next option is to sand the service until smooth and then seal it. I will try the heavy grip sand paper and hope that it will get me somewhere with the sharp seashells. Thank you Valerie, appreciate.
  • Carol Marthens

YouTube has several clips on resin walls. You might want to check some of them out and see if any of those techniques would work for you.
  • Carol Kruger

Thank you. I watch a lot of movies and finally found one that spesified how to get the resin thick that will stuck to the wall. I am currently looking for a supplier that have it in South Africa.