How can you wash towel to make it more absorbent?

+6
I have read they get a build up and need to be vinegar or baking soda

• Joy30150932 Joy30150932 on Mar 19, 2018
    Regular laundry washing should remove any soap in the towels. I have heard that using products like Downy and Fleecy in the wash make your towels less absorbent as these products have a kind of water repellant in them.
  • That is correct! Skip the fabric softener. I use a low suds, free and clear type detergent, add in a couple heaping tablespoons of baking soda and vinegar in the softener cup. Then, felted wool dryer balls in the dryer. Soft, fluffy and absorbent!
  • Geew Geew on Mar 19, 2018
    This might help:
    Have you ever noticed that new towels seem to repel water, rather than absorb it? Usually, it takes many trips through the washing machine for a towel to become more absorbent, but with these tips, you should be able to speed up the process somewhat.

• Mogie Mogie on Mar 19, 2018
    I have found that line drying seems to make a towel more absorbent.
  • Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Mar 19, 2018
    Definitely don't use fabric softeners in the dryer or the wash. I put vinegar in the softener cup in my washer to make sure the soap residue is cut, especially in hubbies laundry, he is sensitive to almost all soaps. I have used Tide for him since I started doing his laundry, as he always gets itchy if I try to change it to something different. He even has his own bottle of Tide, since I use the Tide Sport for all other laundry.
  • Lisa S. Lisa S. on Mar 19, 2018
    Do not use any fabric softener on towels. Wash a few times with plain white vinegar in the washer.
  • Kathy Gydus Kathy Gydus on Mar 20, 2018
    Also, cut down on the amount of laundry detergent that you use. Never use the recommended amount. I always use less than half. My laundry always comes out very clean. Also you need to "wash" your washer every so often. A full tub of hot water with some white vinegar will do the trick of getting rid of any residue on the walls of the tub.
  • Agnes Chrzanowska Agnes Chrzanowska on Mar 31, 2021

Dont use softener

• Deb K Deb K on Jun 12, 2021

Hi Pamela, you will need borax, washing soda and laundry detergent:

Add borax, washing soda, and laundry detergent in a 1:1:2 ratio. For a bathtub, we recommend ¼ cup borax, ¼ cub washing soda, and ½ cup detergent. Stir to dissolve. Completely submerge your towels in the mixture and soak until the water has cooled, which usually takes four to five hours.