Asked on Mar 19, 2018

How do you keep cats out of your flower and herb beds?

Debbie / Dragonfly TreasureSue BuckWilliam
+4

Every time I plant flowers or herbs my neighbors cats come over and use the beds for a litter box and scratch up all of my seeds.

• Mogie

1. Interplant in the garden. Cats dislike the smell of rue, lavender and pennyroyal, Coleus canina and lemon thyme — so plant a few of these throughout the garden space. ...
    2. Cats steer clear of strong citrus scents. ...
    The scent of human hair deters cats.
  • Dfm

Plant a mini garden for them. Cat mint or catnip . There are others,
  • Tinyshoes

Do you think you could talk to your neighbors and let them know that their cats or destroying your beds? Hate to have confrontations with people, especially neighbors..you may feel the same but I know how hard we work on things and to have pets destroy our work really causes anxiety!
  • GrandmasHouseDIY

You could try dripping orange oil over the soil every couple of days. I know cats HATE citrus, but you would have to keep applying it.

Sprinkle chili powder or red pepper around the plants. One sniff and they'll remember. May need to reapply.
  • Sue Buck

Try placing moth balls in the area, just make sure they are where pets can't get them. I did this after a neighbor's cat destroyed some of my very expensive plants. It worked very well or me. No more kitties in my plants.
  • Debbie / Dragonfly Treasure

I've heard of orange or citrus peals or vinegar. Good luck