Home Repair Tutor
Home Repair Tutor
  • Pittsburgh, PA

Cement Step Repair: Get Your Curb Appeal Back in One Day!

$75

After a long cold winter we had to repair our cement steps. I'm guessing you might have to do this, too. So I decided to share how we fixed our steps in one and got our curb appeal back for the spring season!! You can totally DIY this same project and save some money for spring flowers.
For a complete step-by-step video you can also visit my blog post over on Home Repair Tutor.
Let me know if you've got
cement step repair get your curb appeal back in one day, concrete masonry, curb appeal, diy, home maintenance repairs, how to
Remove any loose or crumbling cement.
Drill holes into the old cement step with a hammer drill and Tapcon drill bit.
Add Tapcon screws to the step using. Their heads should be 1/4 to 1/2 inch below the new cement surface. Tapcons will help the new cement adhere to the old surface.
Remove dust with a brush or shop vac.
Apply bonding adhesive to step surface. This will help the new cement bond to the old cement.
Make a wood form that's as wide and tall as the old step.
Use Quikrete Quick-Setting cement. This sets up in 15-20 minutes. So you'll need to work fast.
Apply the new cement using a steel trowel.
Fill-in any voids using a margin trowel.
Shape the step edge using an edging tool.
Smooth the cement surface using a grout sponge.
Seal the new cement according to the directions.
Cover the new cement with plastic and keep moist.
Home Repair Tutor

• Suzan

It's likely on the final product directions but I'm curious, how long should the plastic remain over finished product? And might it need misting? Great project tutorial, thank you!

• Barbara Walton Gomes

Will the cement adhesive work on grout? Our house is 8 years old. We have spots of crumbling grout and have tried to re grout several times but it keeps cracking?

• This looks so nice. I might try to pull the wood that is over mine and try this. Also anybody have any ideas for my cement stoop? I have been trying to figure out how to repair and wondering if the same technique would work for the forms. But this would be difficult to make forms because of the shape and over hang. Any ideas???