My Big Yellow House Gets Character

When we moved into the Big Yellow House, the previous owners had done nothing more to the outside than mow, there was no landscaping whatsoever. Little by little we have made flower beds, added a fence, shutters, and some screen doors to name a few things. Neighbors tell me they love the changes to it and I do too.
This is what the house looked like when we bought it. You can see how it got it's name, lol.
We just kind of randomly set plants and pots and decor around that we brought with us when we moved.
The following spring I knew I needed something more and started planning flower beds.
Still have a ways to go in this picture. Living on a budget let's you take things slowly, it's all one day at a time or one month at a time and maybe even years later. It's also probably why everything around here evolves again and again.
This was taken in the summer, looks like the beginning of summer because the roses haven't taken over yet.
I have plans for the walkway around the border of the bed, but haven't gotten around to it yet. You can see we also had the fence up by this time. The screen door came from a 100 year old farm house, I left it in the same condition I picked it up in.
Around fall the mums were blooming like crazy
And at Christmas time, I didn't have a "plain" house as a backdrop for Christmas decor any longer.

• Betty Sides

Absolutely precious! I love that it took awhile to do it, it is perfect the way it is! If you get tired of the accents don't necessarily change the house color, I love it! Thanks for sharing!

• Michelle Hamill

When we moved in, I didn't want to live in a yellow house. Then we started calling it the big yellow house and it kinda grew on me. Don't think it could ever be another color now!

• Win Leblanc

Loved your step by step pictures of your home from summer, to fall and winter/Xmas over time. Value how you earnestly worked at it bit by bit

and showed your grounds and encircling gardens and shrubs/flowers that are hugging your house

and bringing it close to your tree

and swing to relax on, for after a hard days work.

Also, your creative bent with adding the homey garden accessories and chairs and seasonal decorating.

Yellow is warming & the color of the sun very versatile and looks great with everything you've done.

Not the house that makes a home but the love that is inside (and out)!

My grandmother Kathleen O'Neill would say to us all.