Asked on Mar 20, 2018

How can I clean the fringe (white) on my area rug?

JJWendySusan krom
+4

• Shoshana
    Shoshana

You can just spray on a fringe cleaning solution, let it sit for a while, and then remove or wash it off, and expect the soil to magically disappear. It takes A LOT of scrubbing to get it cleaned.
  • Msrose88
    Msrose88

Thanks. Will give a try. Not right now but will post results etc.
  • Susan krom
    Susan krom

Do you know if it is cotton, synthetic or wool?
  • Wendy
    Wendy

Brush the fringe with a soft bristle brush to remove loose debris, dust, and dirt. Add 1 tablespoon of ammonia to a cup of warm water and sip a sponge into the solution Wring the sponge out well and wipe down the fringe with it. Make sure you dampen every piece. Add 1 tablespoon of white vinegar to a cup of warm water. Dip a clean cloth or sponge in the solution and rinse the fringe. Air dry the fringe. You could also help it dry quicker if you place a fan close to the fringe.
  • JJ
    JJ

I've never cleaned fringe on a rug but anything white that needs cleaning I reach for my favorite Clorox Clean-Up! I would lay the rug flat, maybe outside on a patio, driveway or carport the spray the fringe with water. Then spray with Clorox Clean-Up......and let it sit. It will turn white again. Then continue to spray with water until rinsed completely then let dry. I would think the least scrubbing of the fringe will help retain it's shape. The idea is to not only clean it but bring out the white again.......this I am sure will work. I keep bottles of Clorox Clean-Up on hand for many uses.....and it has never let me down!!! Whatever you decide to do, I wish you luck!!!!