Bookshelves and Curtain Rods

$40

It won’t be what you expect... rain gutters for book shelves and curtain rods on the ceiling! A couple small projects to finish off a room.
bookshelves and curtain rods
A finished view with the lights on. Our youngest two daughters share a room so, to make the best use of space, they have a bunk bed. The problem with a bunk bed is that usually the top bunk, albeit cool because it’s the top, is usually pretty bare. Our daughter loves to read but doesn’t want the books on her bed when she sleeps and if she reads before she falls asleep, she doesn’t want to have to get down to put the books away.
bookshelves and curtain rods
I didn’t want a regular shelf because then things will too easily fall off so, I decided to use a plastic rain gutter. We had to buy it really long, but my husband cut it down to the size I requested with a saw. It cut quite easily. I had my daughter sand the edges really good, then, I had my hubby help me screw them into the wall! You can see we used quite a few screws. She won’t be filling them but we want them to hold well.
bookshelves and curtain rods
We ended up with two. They are both about 24” long and I off set them for interest.
bookshelves and curtain rods
Then for the curtain rods... my second daughter (not whose room it is) crawled up to keep us entertained. haha... Again, my hubby helped with screwing the curtain rods up, 3 in total. The one you see him putting up here is attached to the wall, but the other two are attached on the ceiling.
bookshelves and curtain rods
Here you can see what they look like done. They are just simple ones from the dollar store.
bookshelves and curtain rods
I had this great piece of see through fabric which I have been waiting to use and this was perfect! I finished the edges then sewed a sleeve (is that what it’s called? haha) for the end attached to the wall so it would go on like a curtain. The rest, I just draped over the rods and let it fall down the end of the bunk bed. The only thing I have to find a solution for, is so it doesn’t pull down.... we will see...
bookshelves and curtain rods
Another finished view, but with just her flower light on. She loves it and I am so happy all the ideas from in my head actually worked out! 😊
Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. Prices updated as of September 15, 2018 11:52 PM - More info

• How do you keep the rods from falling out of the holders?

• Rachelle Morris

They fit snug. I didn’t use anything and they are fine. Haven’t had any problems. :)

• Chr12037896

How do you get them (curtain rods) to stay in the ceiling? Anything I try to put there falls out too easily.

• Brooke roeder

Do you do you happen to know how many yards of fabric that was? I have to add string lights 2 most of my projects haha... hot pink ones are my favorite. You could hang some on the ceiling above the curtain so that it shines through if your daughter likes low lighting. Oh and by the way it's called a "rod pocket" but you were close with the sleeve... actually sleeve makes more sense because pockets are short and sleeves are long and curtain rods tend to be longer than shorter so....It's a sleeve!

• Rosie Domin

love this!

• Connie Williams-Frech

I love this, I'm going to do this in my daughter's bedroom. She is 14 and my vintage girl, I will get a material that will bring the vintage look to her room. She is also in band and choir in school so we used a beautiful wrapping paper we found at Christmas with music notes on it, in an antique looking cream color and covered the top of her dresser (which had fingernail polish all over it from younger years) with the paper and used modge podge and it looks awesome.

Just a suggestion for the shelves made out of guttering, use some styrofoam down in the gutter to raise the height for shorter items.