Asked on Mar 20, 2018

Drilling holes in cast iron planter

JudithRoEmily
+6

I have a very old cast iron planter, but it doesn't have drainage holes, so the water just pools up. Is there any way to drill holes into it without damaging it?

Janet Pizaro

Plant in a container with drainage holes and place inside the other container.Make sure you empty it on a regular basis
  • Lsherbach
    Lsherbach

I would say probably not, but you can place an Inch or two of pebbles in the bottom to keep your plant's feet from getting soaked, and/or you can use a pot with drainage holes that fits inside the cast iron planter
  • Ken
    Ken

You should be able to use a metal cutting drill bit and not damage the planter. Use a little oil of any kind to lubricate and cool the drill bit.
  • Linda
    Linda

Dont know the size of container but I have seen empty plastic water bottles used as filler for larger containers.
  • Susan
    Susan

If you can’t drill holes, put about an inch of rocks so your plants won’t rot. Or plant some water plants in it.
  • Caroline Forwood
    Caroline Forwood

I would add pebbles either way. May need to coat it with paint to prevent rust. Put high humidity needs plant!
  • Emily
    Emily

I once had a cast iron plant stand, I melted paraffin to put in the bottoms of the plant holders. But if yours is a single unit, the stones would be a good idea and maybe some sort of base for them that is impregnable by water as eventually the iron would corrode.
  • Ro
    Ro

Put a planter inside the planter
  • Judith
    Judith

I have an iron bed frame and I want to insert castors. There are no holes in the bottom of the legs.