Kitchen Hand Towel

$6

I Grew up With Real Towels, Not Paper.

1. Pick a kitchen towel you like. Make sure it will look good cut in half.

2. Cut it in half. I bought mine at a dollar store. I know the stitching isn't very good. After I cut it in half, I sew all around the towel and turn under the fresh cut end.
3. Pick your yarn. Matching or contrasting works. Anything will do. Hook size 6/G.
4. Go all across the "top" of your towel with a chain stitch in the fabric about every 1/4 inch. This gives you your base.
5. Turn around and stitch a single crochet in every stitch of your base. Depending on the size of your towel, you should have around 50 stitches.
6. Start decreasing The tab of your towel by stitching every other previous stitch. 7. Turn around and continue to decrease the tab until you have 5 or 7 stitches centered in your tab.
8. Make 9 or so rows of the same amount of stitches.Now you want to make a buttonhole. This is why you want an odd number of stitches in the tab.
9. Stitch to the middle and skip the one in the middle. But, make a chain stitch so you don't lose your stitch count.
10. make one or two more rows and your through.
11. Put your button on with enough room to wrap around your drawer pull. Done. Enjoy some old timey culture.

Start decreasing The tab of your towel by stitching every other previous stitch. Turn around and continue to decrease the tab until you have 5 or 7 stitches centered in your tab. Make 9 or so rows of the same amount of stitches.Now you want to make a buttonhole. This is why you want an odd number of stitches in the tab.
6. Stitch to the middle and skip the one in the middle. But, make a chain stitch so you don't lose your stitch count.

7. make one or two more rows and your through.
8. Put your button on with enough room to wrap around your drawer pull. I spent $1.00 dollar on each towel. The yarn, and hook, I had already. Done. Enjoy some old timey culture.

• Sharon Thoms

How do you get the holes in the top of the towel to do your first row of single crochet? Do you just slit a hole with a pair of scissors or what?

• Smi7166643

Don't cut it. You should be able to force the crochet hook through the fabric.

• Grandypink

I have done this by hand stitching a blanket stitch across with a darning needle, then crocheting into the blanket stitches for the first row.

• Pam

I use a awl for punching the layer for the first row of stitching.

• Sharon Thoms

Thanks guys. I think I like the blanket stitch idea best and then the awl. Will try both to see which one suits me.

• Danielle Odin

Have been doing this for years. I used to give them as gifts.

• Regina and Brian

I use a metal crotchet hook so I can put pressure on it to push it through. Also a G hook is sharper on the end than the larger hooks. Thought maybe a sharp pencil would work to start the hole.

• Deborah Perry Blankenship

Through trial & error I learned to use a knitting needle.

• Carol

I use an ice pick to punch holes.

• Debbie

I have several my great aunt made. I love them!

• Sunshine

I Have been doing this for years. I use a warning needle to stitch the first row than use a chook to crochet the rest. Real simple and looks great.

• Cindy Stewart Trachsler

My Mom taught be to do this years ago. I have even made some ties instead of the buttons. I make them for all the holidays and always make enough to give as gifts.

, My Easter hand towel
    • Dia31454446

I have an Easter towel hanging on my oven...Happy Spring

• Patti

No answer I like it but can't crochet.

• Esther

I'm in the same boat as Patti. Don't know how to crochet because no one knew how to teach a lefty. But I love these kitchen towels!

• Learning In The Wild

They now make this fabulous Skip Stitch blade for rotary cutters. It has teeth so as you roll it across your fabric....towels,pillowcase edges, teeshirt collars or sleeves, baby blanket edges....you get evenly spaced holes for your crochet hook

• JoAnn

Esther, You could try on youtube.com. They should have a video to show a lefty how to crochet!!

• Esther

@Joann, I will! I love the look of crochet trim on pillowcases & kitchen towels. Since Grandma isn't around anymore, I have to learn or forget about it!

• Alicia Pousada

You don't make holes in the cloth. You insert your crochet hook into the baseline of stitching you made at the top of the cloth. into

• Dawn Darling

In my opinion I think these are great. To the point I get frustrated with regular one's now. Thank you for post how to on this as the lady who did them for me last passed away. So I'll think of her as I do them.

• Victoria Monroe

There are lefty videos on YouTube

• Joyce Keilman

My mother taught me to crochet the towels years ago. I always have many on hand. Make good gift when invited to dinner. .

I use an, "Ice Pick", to make the holes.

Found out can't make the whole row at once. They go shut.

• Valerie

many years ago my left handed mother in law had me sit on the floor facing her as she crocheted. This method became right handed for me.

• Marti Bradish

I've got a few of these towels to hang over oven handle, refrigerator door handle, etc. Only 1 of mine, is crocheted, but entire towel is crocheted, incl the loop that goes over drawer handle, etc. The 3 other "hand towels" I have like this have fabrics sewn at top creating a sort of design at top, with ties on each side of the top so towel can be tied to door & drawer pulls. I love these little 1/2 towels. As for learning to crochet, I took a simple class in crocheting at a neighborhood grade school many years ago. I didn't think I would be able to learn either cuz I'm a lefty, but it's easy to catch on to. I've made many things crocheted in the years since. I taught my daughter to crochet and she's right- handed. It's really not that hard & it can be done. Don't give up if you really want to learn to crochet. I have made a few baby blankets. Nothing fancy, but they're very pretty, & crocheting is a relaxing craft.

• Andreacaa

Love these. Had one many years ago, tied it on my oven handle. Used it so long the towel wore thin. Have not been lucky enough to find at a craft fair or garage sale.

• KDS

Thank you, I've always wanted to know how to do these & you have made it very clear

• DAWN

I have also made these for the bathroom hand towels.