Kitchen Hand Towel

$6

I Grew up With Real Towels, Not Paper.

1. Pick a kitchen towel you like. Make sure it will look good cut in half.

2. Cut it in half. I bought mine at a dollar store. I know the stitching isn't very good. After I cut it in half, I sew all around the towel and turn under the fresh cut end.
3. Pick your yarn. Matching or contrasting works. Anything will do. Hook size 6/G.
4. Go all across the "top" of your towel with a chain stitch in the fabric about every 1/4 inch. This gives you your base.
5. Turn around and stitch a single crochet in every stitch of your base. Depending on the size of your towel, you should have around 50 stitches.
6. Start decreasing The tab of your towel by stitching every other previous stitch. 7. Turn around and continue to decrease the tab until you have 5 or 7 stitches centered in your tab.
8. Make 9 or so rows of the same amount of stitches.Now you want to make a buttonhole. This is why you want an odd number of stitches in the tab.
9. Stitch to the middle and skip the one in the middle. But, make a chain stitch so you don't lose your stitch count.
10. make one or two more rows and your through.
11. Put your button on with enough room to wrap around your drawer pull. Done. Enjoy some old timey culture.

Start decreasing The tab of your towel by stitching every other previous stitch. Turn around and continue to decrease the tab until you have 5 or 7 stitches centered in your tab. Make 9 or so rows of the same amount of stitches.Now you want to make a buttonhole. This is why you want an odd number of stitches in the tab.
6. Stitch to the middle and skip the one in the middle. But, make a chain stitch so you don't lose your stitch count.

7. make one or two more rows and your through.
8. Put your button on with enough room to wrap around your drawer pull. I spent $1.00 dollar on each towel. The yarn, and hook, I had already. Done. Enjoy some old timey culture.

• Sharon Thoms

How do you get the holes in the top of the towel to do your first row of single crochet? Do you just slit a hole with a pair of scissors or what?

• Andreacaa

Love these. Had one many years ago, tied it on my oven handle. Used it so long the towel wore thin. Have not been lucky enough to find at a craft fair or garage sale.

• KDS

Thank you, I've always wanted to know how to do these & you have made it very clear

• DAWN

I have also made these for the bathroom hand towels.