Asked on Mar 21, 2018

Removing sewer smells from upstairs sink after running water?

Shore grandmomSharonMelanie
+5

• Amanda
    Amanda

Hi Chris. Try putting baking soda down the drain and then washing it down with vinegar. Let it sit for 10 minutes and then rinse down.
    • Chris
      Chris

I’ve done everything including checking my p-traps. Nothing short of having a plumber come in.???
  • Joy30150932
    Joy30150932

If your sink has an overflow drainage hole it probably needs cleaning so fill the sink with hot water, put in some baking soda and vinegar and let it overflow into the drainage hole. Be sure not to walk away during this process or you may have a flood. When you let the water, vinegar and soda go down the drain it will also clean out your trap. The mix will fizz.
  • Nancy Turner
    Nancy Turner

Make sure all drains in the house, including ones in the floor have water in the traps, that drying out is what allows the sewer gas to come up(dry traps).
  • Melanie
    Melanie

make sure no clogs in any other places.try vinegar ,white, and baking soda.baking soda first it gets greese then vinegar disenfects
  • Sharon
    Sharon

Do you have P-traps under the sinks? that should prevent gases from coming up the pipes. I would snake out each sink. Take off the P-trap and see if there is water in it to prevent gas from coming up. Snake out drains cause bathroom drains get really clogged with hair.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hySkwXMn0pA&t=6s

• Shore grandmom
    Shore grandmom

All of the ideas above are good. But no one mentioned the stack pipe which is supposed to vent your pipes to avoid sewer gasses. I would check to see if it is clogged.