Asked on Mar 22, 2018

Is there a paint that will stick to vinyl siding?

EbbjdlNancy GiordanoDfm
+3

We have white vinyl siding on part of our home. It has developed orange rusty looking spots that won't wash off. If I didn't know the correct nails were used when it was installed I would think they were rusting and staining the vinyl staining from the inside out. The siding is still in very good shape and we really can't afford to replace it.

• Dfm

have you tried a rust removing product....clr, wink?
  • Ebbjdl

Check on line ( how to paint aluminum siding) . I would remove the nails or screws, and put galvenised nails or screws.
  • Nancy Giordano

First go to a hardware or home improvement store to get stain killing paint, tsp cleaning product and vinyl siding paint. All of these products need to be specified for exterior use. Make sure that it says so on the
    packaging.
    Next wash your vinyl with the tsp, following the directions. Rinse well and let dry.
    Next paint on the stain killing paint and let dry.
    Finally apply 1-2 coats of the exterior vinyl paint with a large brush length wise along the siding.
    Each of these steps will take at least 1 day, depending on weather conditions which will effect drying time.
    The paints WILL peel if the siding is still wet.
    Good luck. I did this 30+ years ago on metal siding and it has STILL held up as of last year.

• Ebbjdl

Try powerwashing.