Asked on Mar 22, 2018

Tips for painting a sheet of PVC board

Janet PanosMogieWhitney
+2

I'm making a cutout of mermaid to be hung outdoors in Florida. I bought a sheet of what they called PVC board. Will there be a trick to painting that? Do I need to seal after painting? Thanks

• Nancy Turner

You may need to lightly sand to give the paint adhesion to the PVC board. I would top coat it with something like a marine polyurethane to make it stand up to the heat, humidity and rain you get.
  • Erin

Nancy is right with her advice. I wouldn't recommend anything other than highest quality sign paint, as this will take a weather beating, and isn't going too hold up too long if you use regular paint.
  • Whitney

Hopefully this article can help you! https://www.ehow.com/how_5626883_paint-pvc-board.html
  • Mogie

I like to put a few light coats of poly on most things (wind chimes, etc) that are out in the elements.
  • Janet Panos

Hello! Acrylic paint works best for signs. Apply a couple of coats of primer first. After painting your sign, apply a marine sealant — something like yacht varnish, to protect your sign from the outdoor elements. Good luck!