Trash to Treasure Mosaic Table

$30

My Mosaic Table is a true trash to treasure love story.
One that was a few years in the making.
If you want to read the whole love story and not just the project...
Make sure to click on the blog link at the end of the this project post.
trash to treasure mosaic table
Several years ago, my daughter found a set of red toile dishes in a thrift store. Due to an unfortunate accident, several of the large plates got broken. I decided to keep the plates for a future project or two.
(make sure to see my Creating a Garden Stepping Stone)
trash to treasure mosaic table
I also had this base from a broken bird bath.

I’m ashamed to admit how many years that base has been sitting around.  (it was a lot!)
trash to treasure mosaic table
I used the rest of the broken dishes along with the base and a 20″ round wood top cut from cabinet scraps to make the Mosaic table.
trash to treasure mosaic table
To start my project…

I gave the base a simple cleaning and painted it with Deco Art Outdoor Living Paint in picket fence*
trash to treasure mosaic table
After the base was fully dried, I dry brushed the base with Deco Art Color Stain in Ash Grey.
trash to treasure mosaic table
To make the mosaic table top…

• Lightly sand the 20″ wood circle to prime it to accept paint and glue.
  • Paint the sides and bottom of the 20″ wood circle with the white outdoor living paint used on the base.
  • Glue the broken pieces of china onto the wood base using a good glue specific for mosaic tiles such as Glass, Metal & More Premium Permanent Glue* or Weldbond Adhesive.
  • Try to use flat pieces of china whenever possible.  You can smooth the sharp edges of the china using a Dremel tool.
trash to treasure mosaic table
  • I used unsanded grout because I didn’t want to take the chance of it scratching the china.
  • Mix the grout as directed and follow the package instructions when applying the grout onto the top.
  • Wipe off excess group with damp sponge.
  • Confession Time…I did not smooth the edges of the China before gluing them onto the top.  After the grout had dried,  I decided that some of the pieces were too sharp.   After it was grouted I  went over the sharper pieces with a Dremel tool.  The table isn’t completely flat.  But that doesn’t matter for  how I plan on using the table.
  • Seal Grout with Grout Sealer.
trash to treasure mosaic table
Mosaic Table Product Information:                   (*affiliate link)

trash to treasure mosaic table
For the full trash to treasure love story (with plot twist) make sure to click on blog post link below.
Sue Eldred

• Nin10568853

how did you attach top to base? Beautiful!

• Terry

The whole time I was reading this post and even the blog, I was wondering how you attached the top to the base. I was hoping you just left that part out. I'm glad you didn't break the table top and were able to create something else that worked. A lovely way to save a treasure.

• Joy28767714

Is there anyway to smooth the glass pieces without a dremel tool? I have two stained glass lamps that where shattered beyond repair and I want to use the pieces to make a mosaic table top with. If anyone has any other suggestions for my glass pieces I would love to hear your ideas

• Joy28767714

• Teresa

Youcan use sand paper to smoth the edges, be sure to wear gloves.

• Vicky Corey

This is lovely!! I'm now going to read the whole sappy story! I just love sappy stories! ❤

I went back and read your story! It still had a sweet ending and what a lovely gift from your daughter plus your grandson helping!

• K

Congratulations on finishing the long-awaited outcome! I also have several "some day" projects!

You may also want to consider doing an epoxy coating for covering any remaining sharp edges & creating a more even surface.