Trash to Treasure Mosaic Table

$30

My Mosaic Table is a true trash to treasure love story.
One that was a few years in the making.
If you want to read the whole love story and not just the project...
Make sure to click on the blog link at the end of the this project post.
Several years ago, my daughter found a set of red toile dishes in a thrift store. Due to an unfortunate accident, several of the large plates got broken. I decided to keep the plates for a future project or two.
(make sure to see my Creating a Garden Stepping Stone)
I also had this base from a broken bird bath.

I’m ashamed to admit how many years that base has been sitting around.  (it was a lot!)
I used the rest of the broken dishes along with the base and a 20″ round wood top cut from cabinet scraps to make the Mosaic table.
To start my project…

I gave the base a simple cleaning and painted it with Deco Art Outdoor Living Paint in picket fence*
After the base was fully dried, I dry brushed the base with Deco Art Color Stain in Ash Grey.
To make the mosaic table top…

• Lightly sand the 20″ wood circle to prime it to accept paint and glue.
  • Paint the sides and bottom of the 20″ wood circle with the white outdoor living paint used on the base.
  • Glue the broken pieces of china onto the wood base using a good glue specific for mosaic tiles such as Glass, Metal & More Premium Permanent Glue* or Weldbond Adhesive.
  • Try to use flat pieces of china whenever possible.  You can smooth the sharp edges of the china using a Dremel tool.
  • I used unsanded grout because I didn’t want to take the chance of it scratching the china.
  • Mix the grout as directed and follow the package instructions when applying the grout onto the top.
  • Wipe off excess group with damp sponge.
  • Confession Time…I did not smooth the edges of the China before gluing them onto the top.  After the grout had dried,  I decided that some of the pieces were too sharp.   After it was grouted I  went over the sharper pieces with a Dremel tool.  The table isn’t completely flat.  But that doesn’t matter for  how I plan on using the table.
  • Seal Grout with Grout Sealer.
Mosaic Table Product Information:                   (*affiliate link)

For the full trash to treasure love story (with plot twist) make sure to click on blog post link below.

Sue Eldred

• Nin10568853

how did you attach top to base? Beautiful!

• Sue Eldred

Well... that's going to take a two fold answer. (you need to make sure to read the whole sappy story  ) https://sueeldred.com/2017/10/16/a-trash-to-treasure-love-story/

I glued my top to the base with a strong adhesive. I either didn't wait long enough for the adhesive to fully cure or I used the wrong adhesive. I picked up the table by the top (big mistake) and the base came crashing down.

What I would suggest is to cut a small wood disc just smaller than the inside opening on the top of the bird bath base and attach it to the underneath side of the top. That way the top is removable for easy storage.

I ended up finding a 20" black mess table that my top fits onto perfectly. I used it all summer that way. Even though it's not exactly how I planned it, I still like it.

I hope this helps.
    • Lisa DeBose

We feel your pain sis  The table is lovely and often our favorite pieces and projects have a similar story

• Terry

The whole time I was reading this post and even the blog, I was wondering how you attached the top to the base. I was hoping you just left that part out. I'm glad you didn't break the table top and were able to create something else that worked. A lovely way to save a treasure.

• Joy

Is there anyway to smooth the glass pieces without a dremel tool? I have two stained glass lamps that where shattered beyond repair and I want to use the pieces to make a mosaic table top with. If anyone has any other suggestions for my glass pieces I would love to hear your ideas

• Susan

I make stepping stones for the garden with broken glass/ceramic/china etc. I pour the concrete in the mold then add the pieces in a design. Just make sure you tap the pieces into the concrete so the edges are covered. Not hard to do. Good luck.

• Joy

• Teresa

Youcan use sand paper to smoth the edges, be sure to wear gloves.

• K

Congratulations on finishing the long-awaited outcome! I also have several "some day" projects!

You may also want to consider doing an epoxy coating for covering any remaining sharp edges & creating a more even surface.

• Debbie

This is beautiful. I've been planning to do something mosaic and this looks like I may try it! Thank you for sharing.