Danielle
Danielle
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Statesville, NC
Asked on Mar 22, 2018

What could I do with old metal shop lights?

Gom16505195Rhonda SJewellmartin
+5

I have 2 old 4’ flourescent shop lights that no longer work. I was looking at them and thought they were kind of a neat shape and that I should be able to do something creative with the metal housing, but other than maybe succulent planters I can‘t really think what that “something” might be. I know you hometalkers have miles of creativity to spare so all ideas are welcome!
q what could i do with old metal shop lights
  • AmAtHome

I was also going to suggest planters! You could maybe hang them by chains and use as storage shelves - what does the inside look like? If it's pretty flat, they might be cool as shelf storage for small jars, cans, bottles, etc.
  • Geew

This is a stab in the dark (no pun intended).
    Gut the inside, paint the fixture to your preference, drill holes for hanging upside down and use as a shelf? for potted plants perhaps?
  • Jeanette S

These would make excellent trays for planting herbs and shallow rooted plants...maybe things like spinach.
  • Pamela Allen

Take out the insides so your only left with the metal light cover.Turn upside down, drill holes in the edge sides and attach a rope or chain. Fill with potting soil and plants, hang up and enjoy.
  • Jcraw

I would paint it black after drilling appropriate holes and get some fun string lights (Edison type, or whatever) and hang it wherever I wanted, indoor or out.
    Obviously, if you want more reflective light, the insides should be silver. Use appropriate paint to consider heat of the bulbs . Good old Rustoleam makes a high-heat spray for about $5.
  • Jewellmartin

Hang it from a tree branch as a bird and squirrel feeder. Might be good as a dog bowl, too!
  • Rhonda S

It would make a industrial Punk sofa table if you added legs and painted it black. If you could find appropriate brackets you could mount it on the wall in a children's room to hold toys in an aerospace. On that subject perhaps a bookshelf in a children's room as long as the books aren't too heavy. And of course I love all this suggestions of Planter's. You might fill it with concrete and use something to block out space down the center that could later be removed to create a candle holder or succulent planter for the center of an outdoor table.
  • Gom16505195

Get rid of the ballast and all wiring in ballast compartment ,drill 3 or more 7/8 holes on cover attach 3 or more individual bulb
    holders wire them in parallel . ( If you are not familiar with electrical circuits , please consult someone that is qualified or look it up in YOU Tube )