Rhonda B
Rhonda B
  • Muscatine, IA

Propagate Hostas Without Breaking Your Back!

There are two types of gardeners in the world: clumpers and splitters. I admit it-I am a clumper. I cringe at the idea of cutting my babies up into pieces. I would rather leave them alone so they can get big. Wait, not big-huge. I want huge Hostas. Digging them up and dividing them can set them back and, to be honest, I do not like doing that because it takes some varieties forever to reach a good
propagate hostas without breaking your back, gardening, landscape
Here is what you need:
1. A nice clump of Hosta.
2. Shovel that is cleaned and sanitized. I recommend this due to Hosta Virus X a disease that affects and spreads among Hosta. (I recommend you read about HVX at this link: http://www.inthecountrygardenandgifts.com/articles/hosta_virus_x.php)
3. Something to plant your eyes in.
Here are the steps:
1. Find a clump of Hosta you want to propagate, I chose this one:
2. Find an eye or set of eyes toward the outer edge and use your finger to clear a spot between the eyes like this:
3. Take your shovel and place it in the spot you marked:
4. Push down on the shovel and cut through the Hosta to release the eyes:
5. Move the shovel around the eyes you are removing to cut through and loosen them. Make sure to be far enough out to get some roots:
6. When you have cut around it gently lift it with the shovel:
7. Or your Hand if it's easier:-)
8. Replace dirt that came out and pack it gently:
9. Pot the eyes up for when you need them-keep them well watered until you find them a new home.
That is all there is to it-you could even use a hand trowel if you wanted too. Visit my blog or my website http://www.sproutsandstuff.com/ for more tips and Happy Planting!.
Rhonda B

• Cinderella

I live in the south too, and my host a is in desperate need of separation, what can I do?

• Mary Smith

I wait until spring, then dig them up and separate them by hand. Space them the way you want, then replant.

• Gig33780350

My hosts don't seem to be hosts at all, they come out every year but stay the same size!?

• Your hostas arent growing because they need GOOD nutrients in soil. Fertilizer lots of water and room for roots to grow. If they are competing with magnolia tree roots for example they can not get big. Hope this helps. Horse & cow🐎🐮 manure have lots of grain left in it & produces weeds. Chicken🐓 manure if OLD is good manure. 🐇🐇 manure is excellent around not on hostas.

Other thing check your roots...make sure gophers arent destroying 'em. If so set a gopher trap.

• Penny Ledbeter

Were in Wisconsin the cold winters n hot summers.

My question is, how do u cut the eyes before the snow come n site them without destroying them.

• I lived in WI for 28 yrs now live down south. I divided my hostas in spring as soon as they popped up in spring

Then they have all growing season to reestablish. In my earlier gardening days I divided in fall; it is possible but not recommended in 'Sconie

• Vgl24830235

well, I have hostas but I never get to enjoy them because they seem to be a deers favorite food!

• Merelyn sale

Hostas are very easy to grow. Keep Irish soap and cornmeal handy for the slugs. I dig up plants and divide giving some to my neighbors. I wait until the plant is a pretty good size then dig it up and re plant it. so far, I've had good luck.They love shade and plenty of water.