Propagate Hostas Without Breaking Your Back!

There are two types of gardeners in the world: clumpers and splitters. I admit it-I am a clumper. I cringe at the idea of cutting my babies up into pieces. I would rather leave them alone so they can get big. Wait, not big-huge. I want huge Hostas. Digging them up and dividing them can set them back and, to be honest, I do not like doing that because it takes some varieties forever to reach a good size. A solution I came up with is minimally invasive, and it does not set my Hosta back like digging up the entire clump does. This is perfect if you want to share a small piece or if you need a few eyes for a project. You can take off more than I have shown, I just prefer to keep it to a minimum. Just a note: I do this in Spring before the Hostas leaf out so I can see what I am doing, but you can do it at any time of year.
Here is what you need:
1. A nice clump of Hosta.
2. Shovel that is cleaned and sanitized. I recommend this due to Hosta Virus X a disease that affects and spreads among Hosta. (I recommend you read about HVX at this link: http://www.inthecountrygardenandgifts.com/articles/hosta_virus_x.php)
3. Something to plant your eyes in.
Here are the steps:
1. Find a clump of Hosta you want to propagate, I chose this one:
2. Find an eye or set of eyes toward the outer edge and use your finger to clear a spot between the eyes like this:
3. Take your shovel and place it in the spot you marked:
4. Push down on the shovel and cut through the Hosta to release the eyes:
5. Move the shovel around the eyes you are removing to cut through and loosen them. Make sure to be far enough out to get some roots:
6. When you have cut around it gently lift it with the shovel:
7. Or your Hand if it's easier:-)
8. Replace dirt that came out and pack it gently:
9. Pot the eyes up for when you need them-keep them well watered until you find them a new home.
That is all there is to it-you could even use a hand trowel if you wanted too. Visit my blog or my website http://www.sproutsandstuff.com/ for more tips and Happy Planting!.

These Stunning Seating Ideas Will Blow You Away
3 Ideas To Use Terracotta Pots You Definitely Haven't Seen Before
32 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
3 Great Ideas To Easily Upgrade Your Window
15 Unbelievable Ways People Paint Their Walls
These Bathroom Makeovers Might Inspire You To Update Your Own
Make Your Kitchen Beautiful With These 15 Inexpensive Ideas
23 Adorable Ways You Can Make Your Own Coasters
15 Perfectly Round Tables
Rhonda B

• Judith DeMello

Can this be done in the fall?

• Em

Spring or fall. In the fall just cut leaves to the ground.

• Julie Copeland Moore

Do hostas grow year round??

• Katherine L Carlton

Absolutely. They will be underground and invisible during cold weather, but they come back every spring with no human assistance.

• Lori

I live in New England and have many varieties of hostas. I love them. I was wondering if anyone knows how they grow in Florida? and do they 'die off' at a particular time of the year like they do in the north? Or do they stay green year round?

• Terri Cull

I'm in Louisiana. They die off in winter and come back every spring. Just like they did for me in Virginia.

• Jackie

I live in N Texas and my Hostas look great for 9 months out of the year. When it gets cold, they lose their leaves and go completely dormant. My are in a shade garden under trees. They receive a little dappled sunlight.

• Gibbie Forgy

I have one large leafed hosta in its own pot, and I think I paid a little extra for it. Don’t know why I haven’t done this before now! I like to use a sharp bread knife when I’m dividing plants. I guess it gives me more control. And, I found out, hosta leaves will last in a cut flower bouquet for about a week, if you need filler.