Asked on Mar 23, 2018

How can I paint sheetrock over wallpaper?

Sfi29838590Laura CooperJanet Coryell Smither
+3

I live in a Mobile Home

• Johnavallance82

The wallpaper might be vinyl, if so paint will peel, but if not you could use emulsion paint.
  • I would not. If there is wall paper over the sheet rock, when you paint it the moisture will soak in and eventually make the wall paper turn loose in spots. Mine happened in the middle of the night and scared me half to death when a giant piece of wall paper fell :) Best bet is to try to remove the wall paper as much as possible first.
  • Amy Ogden-Paparone

I'm enclosing a link for you to take a look at to see exactly what you need to do. Hope it helps! :)
  • Janet Coryell Smither

If it's not vinyl wallpaper and it's adhered really well to the wall with no peeling, you can paint over it. But it will show the seams and if it's peeling anywhere, it will continue to do so. I used regular latex wall paint.
  • Laura Cooper

Sounds like wall board to me. If that's what it is, tsp, rinse, prime then paint. Wall board is basically made with the wall design built in.
  • Sfi29838590

Thank you