Heavy rain flooded back yard. Water coming in outside wall into bedro

heavy rains have flooded back yard. Water has seeped into bedroom causing a mess. Please help. Do I focus on yard or base of house? House built on cement slab.

  9 answers
  • Dfm Dfm on Mar 23, 2018
    house first. You need to sand bag around the base of your house first, it can stop a good deal of water If it’s still coming in. Then you need to get the water out of the bedroom..wet vac or carpet cleaner...both suck up water. Don’t do a shampoo...just get the water out. Talk with your insurance person...are you covered for water damage?
  • Judy Judy on Mar 23, 2018
    Was it coming in through window, walls or up through the floor?

  • 2dogal 2dogal on Mar 23, 2018
    If there is water running into your house, the ground is sloping towards the house. It needs to be sloping away from the house. You can build up the earth like a berm around the house, then further away dig a swale to direct the water flow. The most expensive is to build a French Drain. There are U-tube videos that will show you how to make swales and french drains.
  • William William on Mar 23, 2018
    First tackle the perimeter of the house. A French drain on the yard side of the house will divert water away. Then tackle the yard. Grade the yard away from the house. A drain with a dry well will allow the water to accumulate in the dry well and eventually absorb into the surrounding soil.

  • You need to address both issues. First you need everything to dry out a bit to assess true damage. Chances are your yard needs to be regraded to slope away from the structure and possibly install a drain system. I have one running down the length of my yard.

    Next you will need to determine where the water was coming in and fix it. Just like flood victims, you may need to replace drywall and whatever is behind the walls. Dry rot, mold will be a health hazard are far more expensive to fix down the road. Have a consult with a remediation company to see what your options are and how much it will cost.
  • Connie Garza Connie Garza on Mar 23, 2018
    One time water was coming into my front room VIA my door. At the bottom of my down spout on the corner of my house I put a rubber extension aiming it around the back of my house. The water then went down the side and out back. Also before I did this the water in front started to stagnate. I poured bleach in that to stop the smell. Problem fixed!
  • Gail Gail on Mar 23, 2018
    Yard. Get water channeled to quickly drain AWAY from your house foundation. Guttrrs with downspouts & running channels may help. You may have to put in some drainage trenches or sloping ditches to get the water draining away from your house. A contractor or good landscaper would likely be able to help you & at least give you some direction.

    Look for a place on or adjacent to your property that is a lower elevation than your house foundation to channel the water to.
  • Carol Marszalek Carol Marszalek on Mar 23, 2018
    Yard: Gail is right. Additionally, French drains are an option, They will channel the water to a lower spot in your yard. I would then have my foundation checked to be sure no permanent damage was done that would cause other problems in the house.
  • 27524803 27524803 on Mar 23, 2018
    Call your insurance company...
Your comment...