Asked on Mar 23, 2018

Window trim

Carol MarszalekGailBetsy
+4

Hello, I am looking to see if anybody could help me figure out how to reattach a piece of wood trim underneath my kitchen window. One side of the wood trim is still affixed to the wall and doesn’t move, but the right-hand side has come loose, and is now sticking out from the wall. It looks like the trim was previously nailed into the wall, and either the wood has pulled away from the nails are the nails of pulled away from the drywall. What’s my best option for fixing this?

• Shore grandmom
    Shore grandmom

I've never seen that, but I'm guessing that they missed the stud when nailing it on. Get longer nails and take notice to where the stud is, then hammer it back on. When the nail head gets close to the trim, use a nail set so that you don't ding the trim.
    William

I agree! The nails must have missed a stud. Do what Shore grandmom suggests. You can also squeeze some caulk or construction adhesive behind the trim before nailing.
  • Sassy
    Sassy

If you could put some glue behind the trim before you secure it to a stud it will also help to keep it where it belongs.
  • Jean
    Jean

I agree with above, do suggest using a glue or caulk to help hold
    Betsy

Yup, everyone seems to have the same answer. Don't try making a new hole with the nail. If you want a new hole, use a drill to make the new hole, otherwise the wood might split and you will be really mad:)
  • Gail
    Gail

Before you hammer it, take a flashlight & little mirror & look behind the wood piece & see the position of the nail. If you can see the end of the nail, is it the head sticking out from the wall or the point sticking out from the wood piece? If you see the point, simply hammer it back in. If you see the nail head, you will need to pull the trim wood back away from wall further & Rove the nail, then put back in place with a new nail. You may also need to retap the nail down on the opposite end too.

Nails & things like this will sometimes happen when walls & a house settle. It doesn't mean that your house is about to fall apart. If the wood trim comes loose again, try a nail in a different location or use a small wood deck screw to put it back & put in same nail hole so as to avoid splitting the wood. Top nail or screw head with putty & touch up paint.
  • Carol Marszalek
    Carol Marszalek

Liquid nails. You can apply with the nozzle, or a popsicle stick and if you can get the wood trim back over the nail hole then you can adhere it that way and shouldn’t have any problems.