Asked on Mar 23, 2018

When to dig misplaced peonies.

MaryAnn BBetsyConnie Hirchert Stadelmann
+4

Haven’t bloomed for years, would like to try a better area In yard

• AmAtHome

Usually September, and many times they will bloom for a couple of years after transplanting.
  • Charlotte Erickson

I have found that they are almost impossible to kill. I have transplanted them numerous times and still they grow.
  • Amanda

Hello. I have transplanted peonie tubers in early spring as soon as all signs of frost were gone. It may be easier to do it when they first start coming up so you can find all of the tubers.
  • Connie Hirchert Stadelmann

When transplanting peonies, be careful not to plant too deep; make sure to have 2 or 3 eyes in each clump; discard rotted or dead tubers, and make sure there's enough sunshine.

I do have 1 question for you. Do you kill the ants that are around the plant? If you do, don't:) The ants help the buds open by eating the 'glue' that holds the buds closed. Also, don't plant the tubers/rizomes, roots/ those things that look like sweet potatoes, too deep. If you do, they won't bloom. Plant them only about 1 to 1/2 inch deep. It's o.k. if the top part of the root thing isn't all covered with dirt. Same thing with the Iris root. If there are little pinkish red things showing, don't bury them, let the sun shine on them, they love sun:) Give them a little plant food too, they're probably hungry.
  • MaryAnn B

You can dig now if your ground is unfrozen. If your peonies haven't bloomed for years they may be too deep. Dig them up, move them to an new area with sun. Peonies should be planted in a very shallow hole and just barley covered with soil. I live in Zone 8, but it may be different in your zone. Contact a peony grower or garden close to you for further assistance.