Asked on Mar 23, 2018

On Long Island, when can I plant a Elephant Ear bulb?

CathyConnie Hirchert StadelmannJanet Pizaro
+3

• Alice

Northern gardeners should plant them outdoors in the spring and bring them back indoors again come fall.
  • Fiddledd224

Select a sunny location in your garden after nighttime temperatures are reliably above 50 degrees and daytime temperatures remain about 70 degrees
  • Amanda

Hello. You can plant it once the ground is thawed and threat of frost is gone. Last year I put mine in the ground late April bring impatient. We did get frost one night but I covered it and it survived. I lucked out!

you cannot plant elephant ear until the absolute danger of frost has passed.In this case with weather being unstable I would recommend the end of may and plant them in shade not sun
  • Connie Hirchert Stadelmann

In the spring after all danger of frost. Or you can start it earlier indoors in a pot.
  • Cathy

Is that zone 5? I use Mother's day as my time line. Any time after is usually safe. FYI - they take forever to come up, just when you are about to give up, here they come. They are tropical and love the heat. Also, you will need to dig them up in the fall and replant them next spring. You may even get baby bulbs you can separate off the main one for even more plants.