Asked on Mar 23, 2018

What is the 'best' way to dry out an outside wall?

Shore grandmomCarol MarszalekSharon
+3

A drain pipe in the wall had a leak and the insulation, drywall and wood is now wet.

• Alice

Maybe this will help...
  • Joy30150932

You may have to remove some of the drywall and the insulation. Then place a fan near the hole until it is completely dry. You should do this soon or else you will get mold in the wall which can be dangerous for your health. Replace the insulation and patch the hole, prime paint and put your finish coat on. If the pipe is still leaking you must repair it right away.
  • Connie Hirchert Stadelmann

Throw away the insulation. Use a high powered fan to dry the wood & wall.
  • Sharon

You should remove the drywall 6" above the wet area inside, remove the insulation and put fans on it to dry it out before mold begins (in 2 days). Make sure its completely dry before repairing. If mold has begun, I would spray down with a mold abatement product, Concrobium in spray can worked for me.
  • Carol Marszalek

I agree with Sharon, but you can use vinegar which will be just as effective on any potential mold.
  • Shore grandmom

Don't forget to check any electric and hvac runs in those walls.