Asked on Mar 24, 2018

Does anyone have ideas and info on container gardening?

DfmBetsyYvonne
+2

My landlord won't let me have a garden spot any more. (Meanie!) So I'm trying to find creative ways to grow stuff in containers, including potatoes and tomatoes. My problem is that the containers have to look nice because he is so picky about anything being out where people can see it. I know the potatoes will be a challenge because I will have to have very deep containers or find some way to build them up and keep filling them with dirt, etc. My little garden has to be easy for me to access but above all, must look very nice, perhaps even painted and/or decorated. Does anyone have any ideas or can you point me to some websites where I might get info? Thank you in advance!

• Robert Rusk

Hi Miss Pam. Man your landlord seems a bit grumpy this year. Sorry to hear that. You can plant in plastic or cloth shopping bags. Just make sure that you have drainage holes in the plastic ones. Have fun searching them out. I got some at thrift stores and Goodwill. If you put them around the yard they all look so cool after the plants grow up. Good Lick........ Gigi
  • Yvonne

Hi Pam, my husband and I plant our tomatoes, pepper plants in big planters on our front porch. They are plastic and you can only plant one tomato in each as they get pretty big. You can also plant cherry tomatoes in hanging baskets. You could use a barrel for potatoes. Good luck!
  • Dfm

There are guides posted on the net as to what veg needs what size container you may want to keep the containers all the same color...but different sizes. Across my side yard at house 2 it was 1 large, 2 small, 1 large etc.

check out this site: https://www.pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=container%20gardening&rs=typed&term_meta[]=container%7Ctyped&term_meta[]=gardening%7Ctyped If you get a garbage can for your potatoes, you can paint it with a spray paint that paints on plastic furniture, etc. Grumpy old landlord. Someone in the complex probably had an ugly garden and he/she's taking it out on everyone. Be sure to share your harvest with him/her:)

• Dfm

Rustoleum for plastic covers a lot print on plastic.