Decorami
Decorami
  • Corona, NY

Parisian Chic Tiles Coffee Table in UNDER £40!

$40

We have had an IKEA Lack coffee table in our living room ever since we moved in to our 3rd floor apartment in Wimbledon, London 5 years ago. It was one of those cheap initial purchases that you do when short on time and money. Not to take anything away from it, poor Lack served us well for 5 years!

However with Lack on its last breaths, we finally tackled this project over last two weekends.

The project itself was fairly simple; especially since we have bought the miter saw and had some leftover pieces of wood from previous projects.
We started by laying out the tiles and 4mm moulding on the plywood board to form the top of the table. Using the moulding gave a beautiful parquet effect. The length of the moulding entirely depends on how big your table is. We wanted a small table appropriate for our space.

Note: It is vital to make sure the wood/moulding is levelled with the tiles right from the start. So essentially they need to be the same height.

Once we had figured out the layout, hubby was happy to bring in to action the amazing miter saw and cut it all to size. 
Next we used wood glue to fix all the border on the table top, leaving the space of tiles empty for now. We had decided to do the tiles last after the wood stain was applied so as not to damage them in anyway.
Once the top was dried, next we fixed the legs. The four corner mouldings were fixed after the legs to make sure the bolts don’t show on the top.
What really brought the whole thing together was the skirting around the top. For this we used 6mm moulding. 
Next we used the trusted black & Decker detail sander to make sure the top is levelled.

Now my favourite step, applying a couple of coats of the Danish Oil (Deep Mahogany) and it was time to fix the tiles.
Ta Da! Beautiful table all ready. I must say I love the way it turned out!

Post written and project created by Hiba Tul Habib. Contributed to Home & Backyard (homebackyard.net).

To see more: https://www.decorami.com

• Sarah Potapova

What is holding the tiles in?

• Barbara

I have a wood coffee table and leftover tiles. Is it possible to lay the tiles on the table, along with a border???

• Chiquita

I haven't done it personally, but I don't see why not. You're just upscaling instead of scratch.

• Linda Premo

It’s perfect for your room!! Great size and the tiles coordinate so well with your textiles. It would look good painted black or white but I love that you stained it❣️

• April

This is stunning!! I can’t wait to try it!!