Asked on Mar 24, 2018

Can I paint a coat of enamel paint over cabinets?

ChristelKelly Denoyer RussellBrenda
+5

I have painted half of my kitchen cabinets with Americana Decor satin enamel paint in pure white. I’m not sure if I like the bright whitE. Could I paint a coat of off white or warm white over the finished cabinets or would it not adhere now?
thank you!
q can i paint a coat of enamel paint over cabinets

it will not adhere correctly
  • Rose Broadway

First of all, your cabinets look beautiful and I would not change them, but if you aren't happy with the color you could give them a good sanding and cleaning, then paint over.
  • V Smith

Because I have not experienced the big color change as you have I think they look great. Very clean and modern, I suggest you live with it for a while and give yourself time to adjust to the change.
  • Jacquienina

There are paints designed for this purpose, as well. Paints that do not require surface prep.
  • Brenda

With the appliances being dark & the hardware you have I think you could glaze them. Google the glazing process & some sample pics. Could this maybe soften the stark white ?
  • Kelly Denoyer Russell

Dont paint another coat of paint but use a glaze! An antiquing glaze or gray. So easy. Go look in the paint dept and see samples or google.
  • Christel

You always want to "scuff up" the surface of anything you're going to paint, especially if it's a smooth surface. It doesn't take much, you can use a fine grit sandpaper and do it by hand, it will only take a few minutes to rough up the surface. This ensures the paint will adhere to the surface.