What is the recommended finish for a south facing wooden door?

+8
The front door in my house faces south and it is looking pretty dull, so I would like to refinish it. I would sand it first the apply some clear varnish? or What product do you recommend?
thank you
q what is the recommended finish for a south facing wooden door
  • Mogie Mogie on Mar 24, 2018
    Homeowners with south or west-facing front doors will see that the parts of the front door most exposed to sunlight, usually the bottom, will deteriorate. The door will look progressively better on the upper section. East and north-facing front doors are subject to far less direct UV but will succumb to the much slower process of expansion and contraction and ozone.

A properly finished front door will be stained with UV-resistant pigment and coated with three coats of marine grade polyurethane. A front door with color loss really can't be refinished well on its hinges. It is better to take the door off the hinges, lay it flat, strip it, sand it, stain it and apply the polyurethane while horizontal. About every five years, lightly sand the bottom parts of the door and apply a light coat of marine grade polyurethane.
    • Javier Javier on Mar 25, 2018
      Thank you for your response. Can you recommend a good UV-resistant pigment?
      thank you
  • Ronda Torbic Ronda Torbic on Mar 24, 2018
    Soak steel wool in vinager or you can use coffee to stain. The longer you soak the steel wool the darker the color will be. After you stain it mix half vinager half vegatable oil in blender then paint it on the wood and rub it in. It works wonderfully on outside wood. My wooden front door faces west with a screen door and gets sun bleach. But since doing this every six months there has been a significant reduction in bleaching of the door.
  • Ken Ken on Mar 24, 2018
    I would use Watco Danish Oil Finish to even up the color and provide a soak-in protection to the wood. It comes in colors, looking like walnut might be a good choice. I like the feel of applying the initial finish by hand. Allow to dry. Before applying the top coat you can lightly sand any roughness from wood fibers that have solidified on the surface.

Then apply two or more coats of polyurethane that has the word "spar" in the name. This product is for use on watercraft and provides superior all weather and sunlight protection. More coats, with a light sanding between, equals a better finish with increased depth to the appearance.

With all due respect to Ronda, I would not use a vinegar solution on a wooden door without scrubbing it off and neutralizing the acid. Vegetable oil does not provide good weather protection.
  • Ro Ro on Mar 24, 2018
    Sand, wipe with mineral spirit, stain and varnish to seal
  • Emily Emily on Mar 25, 2018
    You have a beautiful door. Have you considered painting it?
  • Sharon Sharon on Mar 25, 2018
    I would strip/sand and use a Cabot Timber Oil stain that is UV resistant in 2 colors to highlight the details, and then use a couple of coats of Spar Varnish. http://www.cabotstain.com/products/product/Australian-Timber-Oil.html