Jessica Hoffman
Jessica Hoffman
  • Tutorial Team
  • Boynton Beach, FL

2.00 Coffee Table Turned Plush Ottoman!

$2

If any of you read my post about “cornice on a budget”, you see I purchased some great fabric. I bought tons of it! It was cheap and at the time, I had no idea how little I would need for my cornice project. I also purchased a coffee table at faith farm (a 5013c here in south Florida, sort of like Good Will, except mostly donated Furniture). They move the furniture that doesn’t sell, outside and keep
Cornice project (previous post)
Cornice project (previous post)
New comfy but lonely couch!
New comfy but lonely couch!
2.00 coffee table
2.00 coffee table
Leftover fabric!
Leftover fabric!
The coffee table was a bit too high- so I cut off the legs! At this point there was no turning back!
No more legs!!
No more legs!!
at the time, I wasn’t thinking about a future post, so I’m definitely lacking step by step photos... but basically I did the following:
1. With spray adhesive, I cut leftover foam into pieces, like a puzzle and glued them onto the table top. There were gaps in between, so I literally stuffed smaller pieces in between. I had leftover batting from the cornices, so I knew the spaces in between wouldn’t show. Between the batting, fabric and tufts i would make, I figured it would be fine. Besides, I really had nothing to lose, since this didn’t cost me anything. I figured if it was awful I would just take it apart and start over.
2. I attached the batting- again, using spray adhesive
3. I decided where and what pattern I wanted the tufts to be placed. I used a sharpie and marked my spots
4. Using my Dewalt cordless drill, I drilled holes through the batting, foam and all the way through to the other side of the table
5. Eyeballing this part, I cut my fabric so i had enough to cover the table, gathering it on the back side and attached with a staple gun. Because I used a black sharpie to make my spots for tufting, I could see the holes through the fabric.
6. I covered my buttons with the fabric
THIS IS WHERE YOU GET TO LEARN FROM MY MISTAKES!!
I thought I would be able to simply put the string through the buttons and pull it through to the back and tighten. NOT A CHANCE! Between the foam, fabric and table, I would have to have bionic strength with bionic buttons to make this work!
7. I found screws laying around and screwed them in each spot I wanted a tuft. This was perfect! The fabric gathered perfectly and it was 100% secure.
8. I glued the buttons, with liquid nails, dropping them into each tuft.
Perfect tuft with matching buttons
Perfect tuft with matching buttons
A total of five tufts! Perfection!
A total of five tufts! Perfection!
full disclosure: the top was perfect. I didn’t know and still don’t know what to do with the sides. I probably should have cut and attached some plywood to staple fabric to, but instead i just stapled more fabric, floor length and made sort of a skirt around it. I pulled it tightly and stapled it to the legs. Not perfect, but Netflix and popcorn was calling my name... so it was good enough!
What do you think?
What do you think?
Jessica Hoffman

• Wendy

This is fantastic! Your space looks so warm and lovely :)

• Michelle

Very nice I need a 2.00$ table lol

• Jessica Hoffman

I look through ads frequently in the “free” section. Usually garbage but every once in a while, someone is moving and just can’t take everything!

Craigslist

letgo

offerup

locally (south Florida) we have faith farm and I occasionally pop in to a couple of Good will stores and habitat for humanity, “restore”.