Error loading player:
No playable sources found
Alicia W
Alicia W
  • Middletown, PA

Building a Platform Bed for $60

$60

My niece didn’t have a bed frame for her twin bed so I decided to build her a platform bed.
building a platform bed
I began by measuring her bed and removing it from the space.
building a platform bed
I also wanted to give her storage so I purchased a three cube storage unit. It was a breeze putting it together.
This would go at the end of her bed.
building a platform bed
To make the platform:
A-I began by measuring and cutting 6, 2” x 4”s
B-To ensure they would be sturdy, I used a Kreg Jig
C- I added wood glue to the ends of each piece
D - And screwed the legs into the cross piece making a “U”
E-I placed one “U” at the head of the bed, one in the middle, and the cube storage unit at the foot of the bed
F- I screwed a piece of 3/4” plywood on top.
building a platform bed
To finish the platform:
A-I glued and nailed a 1” x 2” around the edge. To finish, I glued and nailed a 1” x 6” in the center of the 1” x 2” edge and the edge of the plywood
B-I added a 1” x 12” pine to each side
C-And nailed them in place
D-All of the pieces were painted white
building a platform bed
The cube storage was placed at the foot of the bed underneath the plywood. The storage was not as wide as the bed so I had to incorporate it into the platform design.
A-I centered the storage in the center of the space by measuring each side until it was even.
B-I also measured the height of each side
C-Using the measurements, I cut two pieces of 1” x 2” wood and screwed one to the bottom of the space
D-I added the second piece at the top of the space.
E-I cut a piece of 1” x 2” and nailed it to cover the edge of the storage
F-Then nailed a piece of 1” x 6” into the pieces of 1” x 2”. These two pieces covered the open space.
G-I added a piece of 1” x 2” along the top of the plywood
H- I then nailed a piece of 1” x 2” along the edge to cover the edges of the plywood and storage unit.
All of the wood was painted white.
building a platform bed
To make the headboard:
A-I began with a piece of 1/2” plywood, 1” x 2”s and 1” x 4”s.
B- I cut the wood to size and began to frame out the plywood with the 1” x 4”s.
C, D, E, F -I used 1 3/4” brad nails and wood glue to attach the pieces
G-I cut the 1” x 2”s to size and attached those to each side of the plywood
H-I cut a piece of 1” x 4”, two inches longer than the plywood and nailed it to the top of the plywood.
I-I painted the entire piece white.
building a platform bed
Once the headboard was dry:
A-I flipped it over
B-and screwed a 1” x 2” to each side of the headboard
C-I then screwed those 1” x 2” to the 2” x 4” at the head of the bed. This will secure the headboard to the platform.
building a platform bed
Once all of the paint was dry on all of the pieces, I placed the mattress onto the platform.
Here is the side of the platform.
building a platform bed
The end cube storage is perfect for everything and anything.
building a platform bed
And the headboard is simple and perfect.

My niece loves her new bed and all for around $60.
Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. Prices updated as of September 15, 2018 11:42 PM - More info

• Debbie Parra-Beltran

can this bed be used with a an adjustable bed

• Ma Colion

Maybe, she just wants to build the frame part to go around the motorized bed and add the head board to give the bed a more suitable look. I think it can work, but there's not much storage space under those beds, as you have the electrical gears and they are not very high from the ground.

• Jonathan N Josie

Iam looking for a cut list for the headboard, did i miss it??

• Joe Jones

To make the headboard:

I-I painted the entire piece white.

you can make it as wide and tall as you want so cut the pieces accordingly

• Joe Jones

On the platform you show and mention the 1”x4” and the 1”x6” that you nailed to the edge on top of the plywood. What purpose do those pieces serve around the edge? Is it to keep the mattress from sliding? And why nail 1x4 onto the 1x6?

• Alicia W

Hi Joe. Yes, it’s to keep the mattress from sliding and to finish the platform so you don’t see the seam between the two boards.

• Val

Your niece is a lucky girl, you did a lovely job on this. Watching the video really helped me understand this project more. I love her new linens too and the Buddha quote as well.

• Linda

If you weren't before, you are now, without a doubt, her VERY FAVORITE aunt! Good job. It really is amazing!