Jessica Hoffman
Jessica Hoffman
  • Tutorial Team
  • Boynton Beach, FL

Children’s Simple Stools DIY

$15

My niece and nephew are the most adorable kiddos... my Brother had just finished renovating their bedrooms... after all, they are “all grown up now”, (their words- they are both under five lol) and I was going to visit. I didn’t want to go empty handed and wanted to make something they could keep- for a long time. I had just finished my red stools (see project list), so I was still very much in “stool mode”
Showing off their stools
Showing off their stools
I had lots of scrap wood leftover from the last project... this would be easy.
perfect stools for prince and princess
I didn’t write down the measurements, or the cuts. I wasn’t planning on posting this! After seeing all of the photos I took, I figured I would try and at the very least, go over the steps. It was really pretty simple. I had a step stool for my pantry and literally copied the cuts for the base. I cut a couple of square blocks in half, to make a triangle (right down the center, diagonally) and drilled pocket holes, glued and screwed them in. Then I glued and screwed the foot rest on the ledge I created. It was perfect
perfect stools for prince and princess
It only took a few cuts for each stool. The legs, the blocks, foot rests and back.
perfect stools for prince and princess
after the stools were assembled and dry, (excluding the backs, which were attached using large L brackets) they were ready to paint
perfect stools for prince and princess
One for a prince and One for a princess! I chose colors to match their bedrooms!
perfect stools for prince and princess
time to customize!
perfect stools for prince and princess
perfect stools for prince and princess
I wanted these to be light and fun... I was careful to make sure all parts were strong and secure/safe, functional as well as something that would stand out in their rooms. An art piece they would enjoy for years. I sanded some more, painted some more and added little flowers, polka dots, as well as their names
perfect stools for prince and princess
perfect stools for prince and princess
I absolutely loved the way these came out!
perfect stools for prince and princess
In total, both chairs took about three hours (not including Time for paint to dry). The L brackets were attached from the underside of each chair, to the bottom of the back rest
perfect stools for prince and princess
these were literally scaled down versions, almost exact copies of my adult-size bar stools! They absolutely loved them!!
perfect stools for prince and princess
They were a great edition to the kid’s Rooms and have become their favorite seats in the house!
perfect stools for prince and princess

• Scrap wood, pine
  • L brackets
  • Screws
Jessica Hoffman

They are so cool. And now your niece and nephew are "all grown up"

• Jessica Hoffman

They are so cute. They drag these little chairs all over the house!