Asked on Mar 27, 2018

Best plants for high shade area

Rec12783872KathyNan W.
+8

What are the best perennials that I could plant in my high shade front yard. Something that does not need too much tending. Thank you

• Beth W

Host as are very easy!
  • Lynn

And for a little color go with inpatients
  • Cindy

Hostas love shade and come in many different sizes and colors. Split them every spring and plant the new ones in a different spot. You can do this every year if you want to. Lynn is right. Impatients also love shade. They also come in different colors. Impatients also come in a hybrid called "wave" petunias. They ivy and can grow up and over pots, or ivy through a flower bed. They are beautiful in hanging baskets too. Hope this helps you. Good luck.
  • Lina Splichal

I love this style of yard plants. Perennials will only require some annual pruning or debris cleanup. We have hostas, ferns, lilies of the valley and evergreen plants. We also have some cacti such as hen and chicks. Wildflowers also do well with little maintenance, but do usually need to be replanted annually.
  • Sharon

Under my 40 foot firs and pines, I have rhododendrons, azaleas mainly, and some mexican orange, hydrangeas, lily of the valley, violets, pansies.
  • Jewellmartin

Canna, Mother’s-in-law tongue, hostas, ivies, impatiens, and clover might be good for you. ☺️

Heuchera,bleeding hearts,Coleous,Caladium,non stop begonia,torenia are just a few shade options
  • FRESHCUTKY

Hostas, begonias, impatiens?

-Tonya
  • Nan W.

I am a HUGE fan of caladiums! ...color without the upkeep! They love shade! (Here are mine... with crepe myrtle tree)
  • Kathy

I do not have a green thumb.. but for some crazy reason I can grow hostas and myrtle! I like to collect different types of hostas-shapes, colors and flowers all vary and make a pretty awesome shade garden!
  • Rec12783872

Thank you so much everyone! I got all the answers I need and hope to post some nice hostas and other perennials in a year or two.