Asked on Mar 27, 2018

How can I inexpensively replace counter tops?

Zit27438931Janet PizaroNau32892834
+4

My kitchen counter tops need to be replaced. An area at the bar is coming loose & gluing hasn’t worked. What’s an inexpensive way to replace the counter top myself?

• Dfm

What type of glue were you using...I did rubber cement...you apply it to each side -trim side, then the counter side, let it go tacky then join. It’s lasted a good 6 yrs.
  • Dfm

Check at a habitat for humanity re- store for a new counter top.
  • Flipturn

The key word here is 'replace'.
    The most inexpensive way to replace existing countertops is to purchase second hand ones. Go to your nearest Habitat for Humanity, or Restore, as they sell used building materials. As the selection varies constantly, you might also want to look on Craigslist, or Kijiji, whichever you have in your area.
    The second least expensive way to replace existing countertops is to purchase new laminate countertops. Laminate is the lowest price pr sq ft of all the present products available.
    You can save money by unscrewing the old countertops and yanking them off the wall yourself, instead of paying someone else to do this.The sink faucet and water lines will have to be removed first, but they can be easily hooked back up in place after the new countertop and sink are is re/installed. A hole for the sink will also have to be cut, but if you have the right kind of saw this also is easily done.
  • Lsherbach

If actually replacing is not an option...Home Depot and Lowes have kits to refinish countertops.
  • Nau32892834

Use adhesive and claps to repair. I covered mine with copper sheeting. Lustrous in all but corners, which can b cleaned with little effort, if i choose. I love them with blue.
  • Zit27438931

lumber liquidators has very reasonable priced butcher block in 8’x25” sections