Deb
Deb
  • Myrtle Beach, SC
Asked on Mar 27, 2018

How to repaint a cast iron birdbath?

BetsyDebJanet Pizaro
+3

Does anyone know how to paint it? I would like to do either a green or copper with black in it..

• Ana Bacallao

I've never done it but I found this which might be helpful:

• Deb

thanks.. that is a great start!!!!
  • Deb

picture of it

, needs a good painting
  • Deb

Thanks for all the replies on how to clean it. Now looking for help in painting it the technique I need. want to paint it green or bronze with a hint of black in it.. do I paint it green or bronze and then brush the black on it or vice versa?

I'd paint it black and then put the green or bronze on it. Remember that the darker the colour, the warmer the water will be. Dark colours retain heat and the lighter colours reflect heat. That's why those guys on the camels always wear white! :) If you have more green paint, then you can use a sponge to tap the black on where you want it, same with the green on black, just depends on what you have more of:) Just be sure not to clean it out with a Clorox type product, that has an oil in it that will kill the birds. I'm sure it will be gorgeous.