BRAD HERMRECK
BRAD HERMRECK
  • Chanute, KS
Asked on Mar 27, 2018

How to weather proof logs?

BRAD HERMRECKHan11807599Janet Pizaro
+6

I stain and polyurethane logs and make wood lanterns out of them. Is that enough to weather proof them , or should i be doing something else also?

• Kit

That will waterproof them for a while. Make sure you apply the polyurethane to any cut ends of logs to complete,y seal them. In time ) a few years) they may possibly need recounted.
  • Pro7895909

I would use a marine polyurethane
    I use it on my boat and it holds up great is a bit more expensive though.
  • Linda Sikut

Hi Brad,
    I found this type of outdoor lamp made with logs on Hometalk, but there aren't any directions; however, someone asked the same question. I'll copy and paste the answer here.
    The web page if you want to look:
    The answer from another Hometalk member:
    "Polyurethane clear will protect, wash them 1st with a solution of bleach, laundry soap and water dry completely, than clear coat it dry completely about 24hrs than coat with boiled linseed oil comes in can like paint thinner. This will preserve, protect from insects, rot and mildew for years only need to retreat once per 1-4 yrs".

I hope that helps. Wishing you the best.
  • SHIRLEY

Sikkens Proluxe from pittsberg paint store...
  • Melanie Simmons

As long as you use an outdoor poly, it should be okay. I use 3 coats

the correct answer is a marine grade urethane, poly urethane will not hold up to the out door climate
  • Han11807599

A marine quality poly would work best for outdoor logs.
  • BRAD HERMRECK

Thanks everyone