Asked on Mar 28, 2018

How can I clean my oven without using that toxic cleaner in the can?

AmAtHomeMelanie CzokaJanet Pizaro
+7

Potatoes from Shepherd's pie spilled on the floor of my oven and it won't all burn off. I really haven't cleaned the oven--ever. I am paranoid about toxic products.

• Vinegar and baking soda do wonders. Don't fret, I seriously have a girlfriend who has never cleaned a stove in her life. When they get dirty - she buys a new one. I take the old ones, clean them and give to habitat for Humanity or place in a rental. She buys some nice stoves, certainly better than what I have!
  • Janice
    Janice

First scrape out any loose icky burnt stuff and then sprinkle a generous amount of baking soda over all the other gooey, burned spots. Next, put some plain white vinegar in a spray bottle and spritz it over the baking soda. Now, watch for the cool science project that will happen in your oven. Wait a while and take an old hand towel and clean up the gunk, or a paper towel. Then spray more vinegar and rinse, rinse, rinse. That should take care of it....or repeat the steps if needed. It's smelly but not like the commercial stuff!
    • Debra Rogers
      Debra Rogers

I love your method! Thank you so much for the great directions! I will be cleaning my oven this weekend!
  • Dana Mason
    Dana Mason

Once you have it cleaned, cut a piece of tin foil to lay underneath the heating element in the bottom of the oven.... then future spills will be as simple as throwing the foil away and replacing with a new piece.
  • Gale Allen Jenness
    Gale Allen Jenness

best option I know of is using a steam cleaner. Bissel makes a dual steam cleaner that’s a smaller portable steam cleaner that pops out of the floor model steam cleaner that be perfect for many uses including cleaning the oven and there really not that expensive to buy if you can find one? WalMart did carry them, probably can get them online too!
  • Cindy
    Cindy

I make a solution that works well and smells good too. I put orange peels in a jar. Be sure to use the peels only, try to get as much of the white membrane off as you can. Orange peels release oils during this process. Then fill with vinegar to cover the orange peels. (I use an old spaghetti sauce jar and the peels from 2 oranges,) Let this solution sit for at least 2 weeks, but longer is better. I keep mine in the fridge. After the wait time is over, remove the orange peels and pour the vinegar into a spritz bottle. Now, let's talk about cleaning your oven. Scrape off any burnt pieces first. Then sprinkle baking soda to cover entire oven floor. Then spritz it with your vinegar. Let it set 30 minutes. Then wipe up all that remains with a clean damp cloth. Repeat if needed. BTW, I use my orange vinegar to clean all my appliances. You can also use it to clean your entire bathroom.
    Janet Pizaro

https://www.hometalk.com/31532342/how-to-clean-your-oven-with-baking-soda-vinegar?r=2
  • Melanie Czoka
    Melanie Czoka

Cover in baking soda, then add vinegar. After it's done bubbling, add hot water and scrub.
  • AmAtHome
    AmAtHome

Be careful about putting foil directly on the bottom of newer ovens, if they have heating elements in the floor the foil will melt to it.