Simple Shoe Rack

$40

We run our home Japanese style, no shoes in the house. We had an aluminum pole tented shoe rack that was showing wear and tear. I wanted to make a simple shoe rack that would be sturdy enough for all our shoes. All you need are some 2x4’s and some 1/2” plywood and maybe some scrap pieces of wood from the wood pile.
This is 43” high, just under 3’ wide, 12” deep.. The shelves are hung using scrap 1/2” scrap wood I had lying around cut into 2” X 12” pieces. The sides are done using 2” x 4” studs cut at 43” high. I also used the extra 2”x 4“ pieces for each corner of the unit. I put one shelf on the floor because I did not want dog hair and stuff getting under it. Overal, I am happy with this project and it took only a few hours to make and stain. We let it sit for a few days to fully dry as we weather proofed it as well since wet shows might be put on it.
Added plywood on back for stability and to add a different look.
Stained
Another view in the sun.
Shelf with shoes. Mission complete!!

• 3 2x4x8  (Lowe’s)
  • 1/2 plywood  (My garage)

• Wendy

I love this storage solution!

• Linda Abate

A great way of storing shoes to make space in a closet. If one did not have the time to make this type of storage, a bookcase would definitely do the trick. I have several of the partitioned shoe cubbies that each hold 15 pair or shoes and since I do not have a walk in closet, I have them against a wall in my bedroom. Since I did not want the shoes exposed, and to keep the dust off them, I took an old sheet and a curtain rod and mounted it to the front of the cubbies to keep the shoes hidden and clean.