Beth
Beth
  • Swanzey, NH

Make Your Own Tiles Out of Polymer Clay

$15

In this tutorial, I'll walk you through the process of creating beautiful foiled, alcohol ink polymer clay tiles to add to a wooden box.

First, I found a free stained glass pattern that I liked, and I cut it out with my Cricut. You could also just print it and cut it out with an Exacto knife. Save the cutouts from each area--you'll use these later on as stencils on your polymer clay.

The box wasn't quite
make your own tiles out of polymer clay
I put gold foil on black polymer clay, and then I applied different colored alcohol inks.
make your own tiles out of polymer clay
I covered it with translucent polymer clay and used the cut-outs from the black frame as stencils to make my tiles. Bake your tiles according to the instructions on your clay.
make your own tiles out of polymer clay
Here they are after baking. I cut out a few other shapes as well, since I had a lot of leftover clay.
make your own tiles out of polymer clay
And here they are after a little more treatment with the heat gun, which makes the translucent clay more transparent.
make your own tiles out of polymer clay
I painted the background of the box black so that the gaps wouldn't be as noticeable, and then I glued in the tiles. I painted the rest of the box gold.
make your own tiles out of polymer clay
Here's the finished box. I like how it turned out with the geometric pattern and colorful, foiled tiles.
make your own tiles out of polymer clay
Beth

• Bonnie Marcum Plumlee

Can you put these outside in garden

• Beth

I wouldn't make pots for plants out of polymer clay. You might be able to cover existing pots with tiles or something like that. I don't know if you could cover terra-cotta pots with polyurethane because I haven't done that.

• Kaye

Hi Beth, me again, what kind of gold foil and what kind of alcohol ink? I missed that direction when I read it the first time. As it is never going to be warm in this part of the country again - I may try to do this this week!

• Beth

I used craft foil, like you can get at Michaels, and Ranger Alcohol Inks. Hope this helps!

• Nadine Hartman Bourne

I just want to get clarification on something. you baked the tiles then used the heat gun? I need to try this. I love the look and I have all the stuff. I wonder if I could use gold leaf. I'm making an alcohol ink back splash for my kitchen I think I need to try the gold lead on those tiles and see how it looks.

• Nadine Hartman Bourne

Oh no I'm using actual white tiles from Home depot and alcohol ink. I was just curious as to what gold leaf on the tile then the inks would look like. I'll do a test before I use it on the wall. They will get coated with resin before they go up.