Asked on Mar 29, 2018

Do you have to prime your walls before painting?

Fiddledd224Han11807599Connie Hirchert Stadelmann
+2

• Linda

If the wall material is plaster or drywall you can use paint + Primer all in one. You will likely need more than one coat. If going over previous coats that are much darker you could use a blocking latex primer first to ensure no bleed thru. Good luck!

• Connie Hirchert Stadelmann

We just use the Paint & Primer product. Usually one coat is enough
  • Han11807599

If it's new drywall, I'd say yes, but SOME paints are a combo primer/paint. I'd ask an expert in the paint dept for their wisdom.....
  • Fiddledd224

It depends on a lot of things. If the paint is going from very dark to light, possibly. But you can buy great latex wall paint with primer already in it at the home improvement stores so you can do both processes at once. I would take a photo of the existing wall color to the paint pros at the store and ask for their advice. They know what the best paints and application tools are to do a professional job.