Asked on Mar 29, 2018

How to remove water stains on a wood coffee table

Chubby58Rbu12190008Susan Pribula
+2

I had a plant on my woof coffee table and it over time has leaked water onto the surface and it has stained the table top. How can I remove the stain?

• DesertRose

Some people use a little mayonaise and rub it in with a soft cloth in small circle movements. I use Old English Furniture Polish that comes in dark or light depending on your furniture need. It is good for the wood and covers over those water marks. Hope one of these help.
  • Susan Pribula

I had water stains on a wood table I had from my husband watering a plant. I used tooth paste with a rag and rubbed. It worked and I got the water stain off. If the water stain goes further into the wood there is not much you can do but to refinish it. But tooth paste worked great.
  • Rbu12190008

I tried all the usual suggestions to get water stain off a newly refinished wood floor but found that warm iron and a press cloth (dish towel, or couple layers of paper towels) finally did the trick. Start with warm and increase heat as needed but be careful as type of finish may react diffently to heat. My finish was a water based polyurethane.
  • Chubby58

You can try and sand it and match the stain. You can also use a gel stain on it, such as general finishes, you would probably have to do the whole table top for it to look really good. You could always just paint the top. I see lots of furniture where they paint the top and leave the legs wood tone.