Barbara Mills
Barbara Mills
  • United Kingdom
Asked on Mar 29, 2018

How do I secure an old glass shade to the garden fence?

DeeAmAtHomeLina Splichal
+6

I am in the process of repurposing two ceiling light shades into art for my garden. However, I'm not sure of the best way to secure them to the fence. Obviousl, being glass, I do not want them falling off and smashing. Any ideas would be helpful. The photo shows the underside of the shade. .
q how do i secure an old glass shade to the garden fence
  • Ann Cherkas Halstead

I would put 4 cup hooks into the fence At north east west and south to kind of hook the globe to the fence.
  • Barb Adams

The light cover appears to be the kind that fits up into the fixture neck and screws hold it in place by tension. I'm betting that it would shatter if you tried to drill holes to attach wire. Perhaps you could wrap thin wire around the outside of the opening (I would do a couple of wraps), ending with a loop that you could then hang on a screw, nail or clip on the fence.
  • Connie Hirchert Stadelmann

It looks like you could hang it from a hook
  • Ro

Cute idea
    can you fashion a clasp with a metal hanger so the the hanger would sit inside the shade and clasp the fence post from under
  • Barbara Mills

I will definitely look at trying this idea. Thank you so much for replying.
  • Lina Splichal

Do you want this removable? If so your best bet might be to set it in a wooden frame that you have grooved on the sides to hold it securely, then use the wooden frame to attach to the fence. If not, I would use liquid nail.
  • Dee

I would use large screw hooks that you buy in HD or Lowes. Use on 3 sides.