Asked on Mar 29, 2018

Can you blacktop over cement?

SLS Construction & Building Solutions LLCConnie Hirchert StadelmannChristine Marie
+7

Instead of replacing my cement driveway can I have blacktop put over it?

Janet Pizaro

is the driveway in tack without cracks?
    William

No. Blacktop needs a solid gravel base to bond. It will just float, crack, and peel off the concrete.
  • Barb Adams
    Barb Adams

The Builder says yes (and a few other things as well): https://www.askthebuilder.com/blacktop-driveways-over-concrete/
  • Johnavallance82
    Johnavallance82

Tarmac - Resin - Chippings & Resin - Concrete Blocks - Concrete Stain.....
  • Fix It Jen
    Fix It Jen

Thats one to ask your local companies; they may have a formula that bonds but normally it’s a no. You can also stain your cement to change the color, if that’s the desired effect.
  • Fix It Jen
    Fix It Jen

Likeky not, but contact your local company to check. Have you thought about staining the concrete darker instead?
  • Han11807599
    Han11807599

My parents & an uncle & his wife both had their cement driveways covered with asphalt due to cracks in the cement. They would apply tar-like blacktop sealer on it every few years & it held up very well, & this was in N.W. Indiana with harsh winters & hot summers.
  • Christine Marie
    Christine Marie

I have a blacktop over cement driveway. I didn’t know it until I wanted to replace the driveway. The old stuff was fine, just cracked and old. We laid a new blacktop over it and it’s still fine. Good luck!
  • Connie Hirchert Stadelmann
    Connie Hirchert Stadelmann

No. Asphalt needs a gravel base
  • Yes it can be done & in fact some major roadways are done this way - just find a company that knows it stuff & does this (worried ask to see some of their earlier ones - which is good practice anyways)