Carmen
Carmen
  • Tutorial Team
  • Canada

WOOD SHUTTERS BECOME A WORK OF ART (even If You Can't Paint)

$15

I love old wood shutters. I found one at a Thrift store for $ 3.00. It was old but in really nice shape. The size is 9.75" x 16" and has 10 slats. I am not an artist -
I can't paint a picture but I love a beautiful piece of fabric. So why not merry the two together !
This is a really rewarding project - from an old shutter to something quite
unique to hang on your wall. Even more rewarding is when your
wood shutters become a work of art even if you can t paint, wood shutter
wood shutter
Lightly sand and clean your shutter. Paint frame with your choice of colour - I've found white to be the best. I used chalk paint.
Do NOT paint the slats - only the frame and side edges.
wood shutters become a work of art even if you can t paint, Painted shutter
Painted shutter
Let paint dry - chalk paint does not take long. Give it a light sanding.

While the paint is drying, we can start working on the fabric placement and cutting.
wood shutters become a work of art even if you can t paint, Fabric Panel
Fabric Panel
Choose your fabric panel. I chose a pelican. It measures 11.5" x 13".
As long as the panel covers the slats - you will be fine.

wood shutters become a work of art even if you can t paint, Shutter with template green
Shutter with template (green)
Count the number of slats in your shutter. Mine has 10 slats. Measure the width and length of a slat. Mine was 7 1/4" x 1 1/8". Now cut a
template of that size - see photo - green template. Place your cut
template on a slat to make sure it fits nicely.
wood shutters become a work of art even if you can t paint, Fabric Centre
Fabric Centre
Now onto the fabric. Determine the centre of the IMAGE on the fabric - not the whole fabric - but what your focal point is. My pelican is the
focal point. You will be making your cutting marks on the WRONG side
of the fabric. When you determine the centre point - fold fabric and hand crease the fold. Lightly draw a pencil mark down the centre. Lay the centre of the template on the centre line and mark both ends. Make 3
marks along on the side (top, middle and bottom). Draw a line. Now
you have 3 vertical lines on your fabric - left, centre and right.
Now we will trace the template onto the fabric.
wood shutters become a work of art even if you can t paint, 3 vertical lines
3 vertical lines
Photo shows your vertical lines.
wood shutters become a work of art even if you can t paint, Tracing slat template onto fabric
Tracing slat template onto fabric
Now we will trace the template onto the fabric. I wanted to make sure that my Pelicans' eye was not cut - so my first template is centred on the eye. Then I proceeded to cut the remaining slat pieces.
wood shutters become a work of art even if you can t paint, Tracing the fabric strips
Tracing the fabric strips
After you trace the first template - place the template immediately under
the traced line and so on. Do NOT leave any spacing - this will distort your finished image. I only had enough fabric for 9 slats - so number 10 was cut from the side - it was not part of the image so nothing was distorted.
Cut all your strips CAREFULLY AND ACCURATELY.
KEEP YOUR STRIPS IN ORDER.
wood shutters become a work of art even if you can t paint, Fabric strips
Fabric strips
Fabric strips are now cut and ready to modge podge them to the shutter slats. Important - make sure your slats are facing down.
wood shutters become a work of art even if you can t paint, Add your strips
Add your strips
Brush the podge onto your first slat - NOT ONTO THE FABRIC.
Make sure you use modge podge "outdoor" - it is thicker and waterproof.
Lay your first fabric piece down on the slat - "PAT" THE FABRIC IN PLACE - DO NOT RUB - FABRIC STRETCHES - BE GENTLE.
I use a plastic knife to make sure the fabric is under the slat above it.

wood shutters become a work of art even if you can t paint, Keep lines matched
Keep lines matched
As you are placing your fabric on the slats, it is really important that all the lines match in your image. If not, it will look distorted.
Once your slats are done - step back and look closely to make sure everything aligns. Let it dry for about an hour. Then, brush a light coat
of podge on each shutter. Attach a hanger on the back.
YOU ARE DONE - GOOD JOB !
wood shutters become a work of art even if you can t paint, YOU ARE DONE GOOD JOB
YOU ARE DONE - GOOD JOB !

wood shutters become a work of art even if you can t paint, LIGHTHOUSE SHUTTER
LIGHTHOUSE SHUTTER
Here is another example of a larger shutter that I did .
Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. Prices updated as of September 18, 2018 11:20 PM - More info

• L

What a creative idea! Do you think this would look good with a photograph?

• L

Thanks, good idea. Love what you’ve done!

• L

On the last step, do you mean to brush a light coat of mod podge onto each fabric covered slat or the frame? I think you mean each slat. Thank you!

• Carmen

Yes, brush a light coat of podge onto each fabric covered slat - not the frame.

Carmen

• Fin31028850

Will will this hold up on the exterior of a house? What would you recommend for treating the fabric so it doesn't Sun bleach and or deteriorate?