Carmen
Carmen
  • Tutorial Team
  • Canada

WOOD SHUTTERS BECOME A WORK OF ART (even If You Can't Paint)

$15

I love old wood shutters. I found one at a Thrift store for $ 3.00. It was old but in really nice shape. The size is 9.75" x 16" and has 10 slats. I am not an artist -
I can't paint a picture but I love a beautiful piece of fabric. So why not merry the two together !
This is a really rewarding project - from an old shutter to something quite
unique to hang on your wall. Even more rewarding is when your guests ask you where you got it - "I made it".
So, let's get started.
wood shutter
wood shutter
Lightly sand and clean your shutter. Paint frame with your choice of colour - I've found white to be the best. I used chalk paint.
Do NOT paint the slats - only the frame and side edges.
Painted shutter
Painted shutter
Let paint dry - chalk paint does not take long. Give it a light sanding.

While the paint is drying, we can start working on the fabric placement and cutting.
Fabric Panel
Fabric Panel
Choose your fabric panel. I chose a pelican. It measures 11.5" x 13".
As long as the panel covers the slats - you will be fine.

Shutter with template (green)
Shutter with template (green)
Count the number of slats in your shutter. Mine has 10 slats. Measure the width and length of a slat. Mine was 7 1/4" x 1 1/8". Now cut a
template of that size - see photo - green template. Place your cut
template on a slat to make sure it fits nicely.
Fabric Centre
Fabric Centre
Now onto the fabric. Determine the centre of the IMAGE on the fabric - not the whole fabric - but what your focal point is. My pelican is the
focal point. You will be making your cutting marks on the WRONG side
of the fabric. When you determine the centre point - fold fabric and hand crease the fold. Lightly draw a pencil mark down the centre. Lay the centre of the template on the centre line and mark both ends. Make 3
marks along on the side (top, middle and bottom). Draw a line. Now
you have 3 vertical lines on your fabric - left, centre and right.
Now we will trace the template onto the fabric.
3 vertical lines
3 vertical lines
Photo shows your vertical lines.
Tracing slat template onto fabric
Tracing slat template onto fabric
Now we will trace the template onto the fabric. I wanted to make sure that my Pelicans' eye was not cut - so my first template is centred on the eye. Then I proceeded to cut the remaining slat pieces.
Tracing the fabric  strips
Tracing the fabric strips
After you trace the first template - place the template immediately under
the traced line and so on. Do NOT leave any spacing - this will distort your finished image. I only had enough fabric for 9 slats - so number 10 was cut from the side - it was not part of the image so nothing was distorted.
Cut all your strips CAREFULLY AND ACCURATELY.
KEEP YOUR STRIPS IN ORDER.
Fabric strips
Fabric strips
Fabric strips are now cut and ready to modge podge them to the shutter slats. Important - make sure your slats are facing down.
Add your strips
Add your strips
Brush the podge onto your first slat - NOT ONTO THE FABRIC.
Make sure you use modge podge "outdoor" - it is thicker and waterproof.
Lay your first fabric piece down on the slat - "PAT" THE FABRIC IN PLACE - DO NOT RUB - FABRIC STRETCHES - BE GENTLE.
I use a plastic knife to make sure the fabric is under the slat above it.

Keep lines matched
Keep lines matched
As you are placing your fabric on the slats, it is really important that all the lines match in your image. If not, it will look distorted.
Once your slats are done - step back and look closely to make sure everything aligns. Let it dry for about an hour. Then, brush a light coat
of podge on each shutter. Attach a hanger on the back.
YOU ARE DONE - GOOD JOB !
YOU ARE DONE - GOOD JOB !
YOU ARE DONE - GOOD JOB !

LIGHTHOUSE SHUTTER
LIGHTHOUSE SHUTTER
Here is another example of a larger shutter that I did .

• Kauser Arif

I ha A door and thinking of putting a cloth scarf 🧣 will that work or do I need a shutter

• Pauline Ellison

How to fold a fitted sheet?

• Kathi Bennett

Kathi's Fitted Sheet Folding Tutorial    ~~~ Ready??? GO!!! (HINTS: Try using a twin sheet for your first folding experience. Its more manageable. Smooth the sheet at every step to keep it looking uniform, with as few lumps and bumps as possible) To begin: (1).....Lay your sheet flat on your bed. (2)..... Take two corners of one end and fold straight down to the other 2 corners until all 4 corners are on one end and the sheet is half its original length, with 2 flat sides, one flat end and 1 curved end. (it measures around 3 feet long and 4 feet wide, at this point.) (3).....Take two of the rounded corners from either the left or right side and tuck the top one into the bottom one, with both facing up, then lining up the 2 straight, middle seams and smoothing them as flat as you can with both rounded, stretchy edges facing you.....repeat this step with the other 2 corners. (4).....Now, fold your sheet across itself so that all the curved edges are stacked on top of each other, with two of the stretchy edges facing down and the other two facing up. (The sheet now looks about 3 feet long and 2 feet wide.) 5.....Tuck the top two curved edges into the bottom two edges so that they are all tucked inside each other and facing you. Now, Watch The Miracle take shape ~~~Pauline, you are gonna' be sooo proud of yourself!!!    6..... With all the curved edges of the sheet tucked into one another and facing you, fold that end over so that the curved side is now facing down, into the body of the sheet, and keep folding in the same direction.....(see where this is going???  ) Now, all you do is just choose whether you want it folded 3 or 4 times. Honestly, I find it lays flatter and looks smoother with 3 folds.    CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!    You have just created a thing of BEEEAUTY!!!      Pay It Forward, my Friend!!!

• Becky

Love this,have shutters but we don’t have very good material stores in my area. Is there an online source for material with this large a print? Becky

• Carolyn Benston

Maybe u can find prints u like on cotton dish towels, shower curtains, sheets or curtains ! Maybe order from a department store catalog.

• Brenda L Herrling

Love this idea. I am going to give it a whirl😍

• Carmen

Go for it Brenda - you will be so proud of your finished "artwork" !

Carmen

• Terry AndRosa Mills

Wow, that is awesome. Love the idea. Can’t wait to try it out on some of these I have. Thank you.

• Carmen

Go for it Terry ! You will be amazed after you are done and you will get tons of compliments !

Carmen