Rebecca Fenley
Rebecca Fenley
  • Fort Worth, TX
Asked on Mar 30, 2018

Turn pond into flower 🌺 garden

Rebecca FenleyJanet PizaroCarol Marszalek
+2

I have an above-ground pond that I would like to turn into a flower garden. I’m thinking I would fill in the bottom with rocks to help with drainage. It would be much too hard to totally disassemble as the flagstone ‘walls’ are cemented together. Any and all suggestions are welcome. Thank you!
Rebecca Fenley
Fort Worth, Texas

• Cindy

Hi Rebecca, Sounds great. You're right about placing rocks in the pond for drainage. Although I am a bit concerned about rain water collecting with nowhere to go. I see that you live in Texas. So, maybe heavy rainfalls won't be a problem for you. Either way, you could put holes in the pond liner also for drainage. Next is soil. I use a blend of one-third soil, one-third manure, and one-third sand. The sand is for water retention. Then put your plants in. Taller plants should be in back, then graduate down towards the front. Put flowers in groups rather than one here and one there. Grouping them together adds drama. I hope this helps you. Good luck.
  • Carol Marszalek

Sounds like a good start. Is it a hard plastic shell? If so and you don’t have plans for converting it back, then I might drill a few holes in the bottom to assist with drainage.

you have to put drainage holes in the bottom, rocks will accumulate to much water which will kill the plants
  • Rebecca Fenley

Yes, I agree in drilling holes. It is not hard plastic but still think holes would help. Thank you!